Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Geforce 7600gt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mightyflail

mightyflail

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:02 PM

Hi guys!!
Like the topic says, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the Geforce 7600GT in terms of value ($169.00 on Newegg.com), performance, and especially how long to you think it will last me before I have to buy a new one. It's way passed due for me to upgrade and I want to make a good, educated decision before purchase. I understand the whole Vista/DX10 crazy scenario and people say to wait until it comes out, but frankly those cards are going to be so expensive and Vista's probably going to have its share of bugs when it comes out so I'm not even going to bother to worry about that right now.

I'm just wanting a card that will play recent games exceptionally and still have reasonable game-play a couple years down the road. Any suggestions besides the 7600GT is welcomed. I appreciate any and all advise and opinions.

Oh, and if need be, here are my computer specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3200 (~2.2GH)
1gb RAM
Geforce FX 5200 (yes, I'll give you a moment to recover at the sight of my awful card. And yes, i'm very aware how crappy it is!! Oh and by the way, my motherboard is compatible with PCI)
If i knew where to look for what my motherboard is I'd list that too

Once again, thanks guys for your comments!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

By compatible with PCI, do you mean PCI-Express? Coz that would make a big difference!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 mightyflail

mightyflail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:35 PM

By compatible with PCI, do you mean PCI-Express? Coz that would make a big difference!

Yes!! Sorry, for not being specific :thumbsup: hehehe

#4 mightyflail

mightyflail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:45 PM

Yes!! Sorry, for not being specific :thumbsup: hehehe

Well, actually come to think of it, I'm not completely for sure. Where can I look to find out? I've looked in DXDIAG & the Device Manager for information on it and can't find it. Then again, I'm probably just reading it wrong..... :flowers:

#5 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:45 AM

That card is a great card... replaces the infamous 6600gt and will last you a while. However, compatibility is an issue.

What is your motherboard model?

http://www.crucial.com/library/pcie_agp.asp

Here is a guide to see which you have. Note the notches in the slots.

I am going to guess and say you have an AGP slot... in which case you need to make sure NOT to get the PCI-E card.

A 7600gt would be out of the question, unfortunately. There may be an AGP/PCI version of it down the road, but it would be slightly scaled down.

You CAN get the 7600GS which is a scaled down model, but stiff offers good performance (also outperforms the 6600 in many areas, plus has the new features of 7 series). This card comes in both PCIE and AGP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130036

#6 mightyflail

mightyflail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:10 AM

That card is a great card... replaces the infamous 6600gt and will last you a while. However, compatibility is an issue.

What is your motherboard model?

http://www.crucial.com/library/pcie_agp.asp

Here is a guide to see which you have. Note the notches in the slots.

I am going to guess and say you have an AGP slot... in which case you need to make sure NOT to get the PCI-E card.

A 7600gt would be out of the question, unfortunately. There may be an AGP/PCI version of it down the road, but it would be slightly scaled down.

You CAN get the 7600GS which is a scaled down model, but stiff offers good performance (also outperforms the 6600 in many areas, plus has the new features of 7 series). This card comes in both PCIE and AGP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130036

Thanks for your advise, you were very helpful, most appreciated. I guess I'll just get the 7600gs to hold me over until I can get a new system. thanks again! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users