Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Space issue on HDD, possibly virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 ellittle678

ellittle678

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

Hey guys, a customer has a PC with a 1TB HDD that won't allow any free space on the drive. Once you free up space by removing something, it shoots straight back to 0.

For example, the customer deleted 900MB worth of contents from the recycling bin at once. After I cleared the recycling bin, space showed 800MB free, 53MB free, 0MB free (he must've been refreshing, but not sure). After that, I booted in safe mode to see if the drive still showed empty. Safe mode showed the drive to still have 900MB free, so I ruled out the HDD being bad, but not completely.

The customer advised he was nowhere near max space on the drive, so I checked what's taking up the most space. Windows file showed to be 840GB....so I believe it's some sort of virus deep, that's filling up the drive space. 

Malware Bytes found nothing, unfortunately SeaTools had an error with a certain .dll and wouldn't run (flag for system file issues). PC didn't have any new suspicious programs installed, no suspicious processes, but startup showed "LchDrvKey.exe" in startup, which could be a virus? Haven't finished researching it yet. Troubleshooting I did was through a remote connection, so I didn't have time to run other possible good programs, such as ComboFix, etc. 

I apologize if this is a common virus or issue that I should've known of, but not finding much on Google with these specific symptoms. Does anyone have any suggestions on what this may be? Or ideas on where I should look for a solution? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:08 AM

I thought this was an interesting issue... guess no one else did.

Checked out the drive with TreeSize. Turned out a single temp file was 600gb. Ran ComboFix, drive space now shows up properly.

#3 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 38,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

If all is well.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide best security practices keep safe.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/
===

#4 ellittle678

ellittle678
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

Never mind, not resolved. HDD started automatically filling up once the PC was brought back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users