Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Administrators Privileges

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

Windows 7 keeps telling me I cannot open certain programs without administrators privileges even though I am logged in as the Administrator. Clicking on Run as Administrator has no effect.

Can anyone tell me how to overcome this problem or must I always be stuck on Windows XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

Google Results

One of those links should provide an answer to your questions.

Louis

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

Thank you. I will go through the list trying everything, but having already done a Google search myself I have already tried most of those things, some of which are just showing a new way of doing what I have already tried.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:51 AM

Try creating another administrator user account to see if this works.  If it does there is a pretty strong indication that the exiting admin. user account is corrupt.  If this is the case you can transfer the files from the original admin. user account to your new account and then delete the original account.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

I have been trying some of the suggestions on the link given to me by Louis but so far without any luck. But I will also try your suggestion as well, thanks.

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Creating another administrator user account didn't work either

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 03:16 PM

Try taking ownership of the drive as explained here if you have not tried this method.

http://www.techfleece.com/2011/05/15/how-to-take-ownership-of-files-or-folders-or-an-entire-hard-drive/

#8 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:35 AM

Thanks but I have already tried that. I think it only applies to drives other than the one the operating system is on anyway.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

Windows All-In-One Repair can reset file and registry permissions but I have no experience using it. If you do decide to run All-In-One Repair only check the two boxes for resetting registry and file permissions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

#10 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

Seeing as I have backup images of my operating systems I have nothing to loose if anything goes wrong, so I will give it a try. Thanks

#11 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

OK problem solved. Not being a computer guru I have no idea what made the difference, I just decided to experiment while doing a clean install of Windows 7. I did a clean install of Windows 7 making sure I was recognised as the administrator by creating a password.

My guess is that it was creating the password during the clean installation that must have made the difference.

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,235 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the update. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses and do a clean install, especially if you have all your data backed up. 

For your information, if the computer does not have a factory restore partition, Aoemi One Key can create a restore partition on the hard drive and access it during boot using a key press. It also allows one to update this image unlike an OEM factory restore partition. Of course this is not like creating a disk image on an external drive which would allow you to restore to a clean drive in case of a hard drive failure. For that you can use either Macrium Free or Aoemi's Backupper program.  You can also use Windows 7 own imaging program but I prefer the previous examples as they easily let you create multiple images without renaming and also let you easily mount the image as a virtual drive allowing you to explore the contents of the image and recovery any file you may need.

#13 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

Thanks. Wish I'd known about those programs a long time ago before I purchased Acronis True Image. I will continue to use True Image but will certainly be giving these a try too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users