Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely strange problem causing laptop to shut down.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blooperdoopan

Blooperdoopan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:07 AM

So, I have a laptop that shuts off ever 30 seconds to 30 minutes.

It appears to be getting progressively worse. It happens when I'm in bootup, it happens from within windows, from the bios, it happens during OS installation, it happens during linux... and so on.

I think it only happens when the laptop is plugged into AC power, however the battery readout is not correct so the power cuts off at around 60% sometimes anyway and doesn't show the proper charging percentage either. However, at least it doesn't shut off every few seconds/minutes.

Here is the key point though, it does NOT happen when I'm playing music (mp3) or video (mp4) from inside windows with VLC player.

That's right, the only way I can work on my computer is if I boot into windows 10, 64 bit with the laptop unplugged, and then start playing an mp3 on repeat with VLC and then plug my computer into AC power.

What.. the.. heck is going on here?  Any ideas?

I've tried updating the bios.

I should note that my bios battery also appears to be dead since my computer no longer keeps time, the clock jumps around like crazy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:16 AM

I should note that my bios battery also appears to be dead since my computer no longer keeps time, the clock jumps around like crazy.

Then you should replace the CMOS battery first and see whether the issue persists.

#3 Blooperdoopan

Blooperdoopan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:16 AM

Is this something that a new cmos battery could possible remedy though? It does seem awfully weird behavior. The reason why I'm not too keen on this, is because the makers of my particular laptop saw fit to make the cmos battery nearly impossible to replace. As in, I've taken apart the laptop about 50 times, made soldering fixes to the LCD panel (pain in the ass), and so on, but changing the cmos battery will be the most daunting task yet. I would pretty much have to take apart every wire, component, and piece of plastic and screw, front and back, including the monitor and put it back together like I was working on the assembly line. Almost easier to cut a hole in the front of the laptop to get to it. Seriously, these designers need to be thrown off a bridge.

Edited by Blooperdoopan, 16 February 2016 - 11:18 AM.

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

Is this something that a new cmos battery could possible remedy though? It does seem awfully weird behavior. The reason why I'm not too keen on this, is because the makers of my particular laptop saw fit to make the cmos battery nearly impossible to replace. As in, I've taken apart the laptop about 50 times, made soldering fixes to the LCD panel (pain in the ass), and so on, but changing the cmos battery will be the most daunting task yet. I would pretty much have to take apart every wire, component, and piece of plastic and screw, front and back, including the monitor and put it back together like I was working on the assembly line. Almost easier to cut a hole in the front of the laptop to get to it. Seriously, these designers need to be thrown off a bridge.

I do find that the strangest things start to happen when the cmos battery is dying. And when the problems get progressively worse you can tell the battery is dying. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

With a CMOS battery which is questionable all sorts of strange things can happen.  I agree that you should replace the battery first so that you can discount this as being the cause of these problems.

Once you have replaced the battery post back and let us know what type of problem/s you are experiencing.

Please post the make and model of this computer.  I will see if I can find a video to show you how to change the battery.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Blooperdoopan

Blooperdoopan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

I have an Acer 6935g, thanks.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

Here ya go...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users