Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Must know IP addressing concepts for entry level IT Pros

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chrisfarley92

chrisfarley92

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:58 AM

Hi Guys, Hope you all are having a calm day. Well, I'm so excited to be apart of bleepingcomputer.com. however, I am a entry level IT Pro just completed my A+ training and looking forward to getting started with networking and wanted to get some tips on IP addressing and Subnetting. WHAT I MUST KNOW! Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

CIDR

Netmask

IPV6

Broadcast

Multicast

Private addresses

How to correct ask Google a question so you limit the amount of cruft you have to wade through

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

If you want to make a career out of Information Technology, you will need a degree in IT from an accredited university. It used to be that you could learn a certain amount and get a job for experience and learning, but those days are gone forever. And...general IT knowledge won't cut it; you will have to specialize in an aspect of IT, and IMHO, Security is a hot field presently, and I don't see it going away. Every company that is serious about success is vitally interested in protecting itself from hackers & viruses and you can make low to mid six figures within a few years.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

I have to disagree with ranchhand_ a degree is not necessary, but for whatever reason a lot of companies won't look at you without one.  If you're willing to do contract work it isn't as important, provided you know what you're doing.  It always amazes me that companies must have a degree and my 20+ years of experience doesn't matter, they want a 20 year old degree to go with it.  If you have two of these three; certification, degree, experience you can normally find a position.  Experience is the main one.

While Security is hot it comes with a lot of responsibility.  The worst part about security is you don't have control over the weakest link, users.

For the original poster, it depends on what level you want to know about IP.  You're going to need to learn IPv4, companies are slow to move to IPv6.  We're going to be stuck with IPv4 for a good long time.

If you're talking internal you need to know how to troubleshoot.

The easiest way is to ping near to far to find out where the problem is located, then you can start looking for the actual problem.

Step 1.  Has it ever worked?  This is the ALWAYS the first question to ask.

Step 2.  Does everyone have the problem or just one person?

Step 3.  Do you have a valid IP address, not 169.254.x.x?  This needs to be resolved first.  There is either a network issue or a DHCP issue.

Step 4.  Ping 127.0.0.1 - This will tell you if your TCP/IP stack is working

Step 5.  Ping the gateway - This lets you know if your router is up.

Step 6.  Ping something on a different network - This lets you know if your router is passing traffic.

Step 7.  Ping a web server, i.e. www.google.com (this may be step 6 if you have a small network) - This will let you know if your Internet/proxy server is up and if your DNS server is working.

If you want to get Network+ certified you're going to need to learn what they test for, that doesn't necessarily mean you're going to need it on the job.  I learned subnetting for Networking Essentials and Network+ and haven't used them since.  If I needed to do it there are tools on the Internet to do it for you.  I'd rather work with people who can find the answer, it shows you can think and apply, rather than memorize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users