Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I upgrade from windows vista to Windows 8 or Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alice88

Alice88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:18 AM

Hi guys!

I'm having trouble installing windows 10. I have the product key, I have downloaded windows 10 but when I click on 'open' on the downloads page my screen flashes and wont do anything. I've tried disabling mcafee and restarted and the issue continues. Anyone have any idea what is causing this or how upgrade from vista to windows 8 or 10?

Thanks!!

Alice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

...I have downloaded windows 10 but when I click on 'open' on the downloads page my screen flashes and wont do anything.

If you have already downloaded Windows 10 why should you click on "open" on the downloads page?  Could you post a link to this download page?

#3 Alice88

Alice88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/vlacademicISO this is the only link I can copy but it takes me back to input the product key. Here are some pictures of what my screen shows. 

Attached Files

Edited by Alice88, 16 February 2016 - 02:57 PM.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

You have posted thumbnails and I can hardly make out anything.  Please post better pictures.

#5 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:47 PM

After taking a look at your thumbnails, prior to installing, have you already:

• Backed up all important files to an external media source (Cloud, external hard drive)

• Checked the version of the OS you're running, 32 or 64 bit?

To check your OS version, I'd like for you to please:

zywuHGh.jpg

FRGcZjl.jpg

TbE5x3A.jpg

Report what your System type is.

Then make your download again in another web browser that is NOT internet explorer such as Firefox or Chrome.

Install these normally as you would and revisit the same page, and enter the product key in to download the same edition of Windows for your computer's system type.

I would recommend upgrading to Windows 10 because it will be supported for a longer duration and is much preferred over Windows Vista.

Any regards? Please reply back!

Edited by InsufficientFunds, 16 February 2016 - 10:47 PM.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#6 Alice88

Alice88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 01:11 AM

Ive tried opening the download with firefox, chrome and internet explorer and I get the same outcome on all. When I select the language and then the 64-bit download my screen blinks for half a second and nothing else happens. 

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

Where are the pictures?

#8 Alice88

Alice88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:41 AM

Im not sure how to make them bigger. I have the images saved on my computer and I can see them pretty big on my end but when I upload for some reason they shrink. Any idea why?

Edited by Alice88, 20 February 2016 - 02:43 AM.

#9 daveydoom

daveydoom

• Security Colleague
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

You won't be able to perform an upgrade from Windows Vista straight to Windows 10 :)  .  You will have to create an ISO to boot from and perform a clean installation :)  .

Is the download an ISO file by any chance?   If so, you won't be able to open it, you will have to burn it to a DVD and then boot from that to install Windows 10 ;)  .

Edited by daveydoom, 20 February 2016 - 06:32 AM.

"A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing"
-Emo Philips

unite_final.png

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:13 AM

Im not sure how to make them bigger. I have the images saved on my computer and I can see them pretty big on my end but when I upload for some reason they shrink. Any idea why?

You may be posting the images as thumbnails.

Here's what to do...

1.  Go to https://imgur.com/ and click on the blue box near the top which says "upload images".

uukJLOh.png

2.  There are 4 ways in which you can upload images.  The easiest would be to open an Explorer window and drag and drop each image into your browser window.

AiSr1c0.png

3.  Next, click on "Start Upload".

ZtJj64Z.png

4.  When your images have been uploaded, look on the right and click on the URL in the "Share Link" box.

XbJfPlG.png

5.  Reply here and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + V to paste the link in your post.

#11 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:47 AM

This is a long-shot, because of all the browsers being affected...

Let's try to RESET firefox of ALL it's settings and attempt to perform a download again.

Reset Firefox by...

971w6v.png

1213ol1.png

scw5tf.png

Then attempt the visit the same website to download .ISO so we can create bootable media and install it.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users