Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regular BSODs. BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER. Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brazen00

Brazen00

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

I've been getting BSODs regularly (maybe 4-5x/day) which is making my working life a pain. They come with different error messages, the most recent one being BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER.

Does anyone have any advice/clue on how to fix this?

Best regards,

Brazen00

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Brazen00

Brazen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for replying usasma.

BSOD Inspector has been run. Results attached.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:45 AM

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports. And no record of them in the WER section of MSINFO32.

The System logfile implies that there are BSOD's when reading the details of the Event ID 41 (Critical) errors.

Please check in C:\Windows\Minidump for memory dumps (files ending in .dmp).  If you find them there, please zip them up and upload them with your next post.  If unable to zip them there, copy them to your Desktop and zip them from there.

If there are no memory dumps there, then look in C:\Windows for a file named MEMORY.dmp.  Zip it up and upload it to a free file hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).  Make sure that it's shared and then post a link to it here.

If unable to find any memory dumps, please let us know.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P1.00) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 6 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

You have a TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

Please remove ALL USB devices from the system and see if that stops the BSOD's.

Please run Driver Veriifer to see if you can force a BSOD that will capture a memory dump:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Edited by usasma, 17 February 2016 - 07:45 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Brazen00

Brazen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:26 AM

Thanks again.

I've updated my BIOS to the latest available (2013).

There are no Windows Updates available to my computer. Windows reckons I'm up-to-date.

I've updated my drivers for my TP-LINK adapter to the latest (win 8) drivers.

I used driver verifier and the system BSOD'd on startup. Safe mode booted ok to switch verifier off again.

I cannot find any logs in any of the locations you've mentioned above.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Run Driver Verifier again.

Read what the screen says.

The second image on this page is for W8/8.1/10:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodimg.html

We'll need the info from the part where it says "HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" (it'll say different for your system)

Then generate a new set of reports and we'll see what we have.

Please understand that W8 drivers may/may not be compatible w/W10.

We'll see from the reports if they seem to be the source of the problem.

Do you have a way to connect to the internet with a wire temporarily?

#7 Brazen00

Brazen00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

OK, I ran verifier again. Here is the message:

DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (iusb3hcs.sys)

Attached are the BSOD inspector reports.

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

The error points to your Intel USB 3.0 drivers.

Please:

- make sure that Driver Verifier is turned off

- download a fresh set of these drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's support website

- uninstall the current USB 3.0 drivers (if listed) from Control Panel...Programs and Features

- install the freshly downloaded driver package

- reboot and monitor for further BSOD's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users