Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot copy shared file (virtualbox)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cwbytez

cwbytez

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:37 AM

hi guys

i just set up a virtual box to run win 7.but something went wrong,i cannot copy shared folder between the host (ubuntu) and guest (win7).i'm kind of new in this stuff

sNseZ0H.png

My native language isn't English,so please point out to me out if I make any grammar mistake :P (i'm not really good at english)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 03:08 AM

Did you install Guest additions?

Shared folders

These provide an easy way to exchange files between the host and the guest. Much like ordinary Windows network shares, you can tell VirtualBox to treat a certain host directory as a shared folder, and VirtualBox will make it available to the guest operating system as a network share, irrespective of whether guest actually has a network. For details, please refer to Section 4.3, “Shared folders”.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

#3 cwbytez

cwbytez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:20 AM

Did you install Guest additions?

Shared folders

These provide an easy way to exchange files between the host and the guest. Much like ordinary Windows network shares, you can tell VirtualBox to treat a certain host directory as a shared folder, and VirtualBox will make it available to the guest operating system as a network share, irrespective of whether guest actually has a network. For details, please refer to Section 4.3, “Shared folders”.

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

yes i install it

My native language isn't English,so please point out to me out if I make any grammar mistake :P (i'm not really good at english)

#4 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

Just to make sure I understand:

You are in your Windows VM

You are trying to copy a file from the shared folder to a location on the Windows "disk"?

From your ubuntu host, if you copy a file into the shared folder can you see it from the Windows VM?

From your Windows VM can you create a file in the shared folder?

You may need to add your user account to another group (not sure of the name, it's something like vboxsf.  look in /etc/group for it). 

Be careful with symbolic links on the Ubuntu side;  Windows doesn't (can't) do them very well.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#5 cwbytez

cwbytez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:23 AM

i just fixed it, by upgarading my ubuntu 12.04 ---> 14.04

but i still dunno why it happened (maybe my system is old? ) :blink:

anyway thank you NickAu n mremski for trying to help me :warrior:

cheers :thumbup2:

Edited by cwbytez, 17 February 2016 - 01:33 AM.

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:26 AM

i just fixed it, by upgarading my ubuntu 12.04 ---> 14.04

but i still dunno why it happened (maybe my system is old? ) :blink:

anyway thank you NickAu n mremski for trying to help me :warrior:

cheers :thumbup2:

Glad it's working, but it would have been good to figure it out.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:05 AM

I'm also glad that things are working, just the first time I've seen that an OS upgrade was needed to make it happen. :thumbup2:

Maybe the newer version of Ubuntu has some updated code that helped the process, yet it was still likely the same version of VirtualBox. 

The main thing is that you're now good with what you wanted to accomplish. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users