Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP envy x2 withouth uefi partition, how to reinstall?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wonderland

wonderland

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

Hello,

I have a HP envy x2 which has no uefi partition and at the moment it seems that it's impossible to reinstall this computer. I have tried external dvd-rom and bootable usb, but they aren't recognized when I turn on the computer. At the moment the computers has no OS.

On hp forums I read that you must turn on legacy boot in order to be able to boot from cd-rom, but there is no such option, there isn't even a boot priority option, only uefi boot priority which is greyed out at the moment, probably due to absence of uefi partition.

I have never seen such basic bios with so few options, I couldn't believe that there is no boot priority options available, which seems the most basic of options...

Is there anything that could be done in this situation?

Edited by hamluis, 17 February 2016 - 08:14 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

Hello, Would you tell us your Operating System so I can get you some help.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 wonderland

wonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:08 AM

Hey,

Thank you very much for your response, there is currently no OS on the system.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

This all depends on what Operating System you're trying to install.
Also affecting this is where you get the recovery media from.

For example, if you're using recovery media that you made on this computer, then you should leave the system in the state it was when you made the recovery media - and run the recovery from that.

If you have received recovery media from HP, then you should leave the system in the state it was when it left the factory.  While trying to install Windows you may be able to delete all the partitions and start over fresh.

If you are using downloaded recovery media, then it depends on which OS you have downloaded and what the system originally came with.

W7 and earlier don't use UEFI, where as W8/8.1/10 all come using UEFI (this is for OEM's like HP - custom built systems are different).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 wonderland

wonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Thank you usasma!

I was trying to install windows 7 but that failed, but once I created windows 8.1 bootable usb (that was the windows version that came with the computer), I didn't even have to change anything in bios because windows install was loaded from usb straight away.

I have installed fresh windows 8.1 copy and am very happy! Now I just need to see If I can take advantage of that W10 upgrade on this computer :)

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:45 AM

You should be able to update to W10 without any issues.

The sooner that you do it, the better.

Also, you may want to look up your product key and save that in case you need it in the future.

Here's a free program that I use:  http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

I don't know if this will work in W8/8.1, but you can run this command in a command prompt:

slmgr /xpr

If it comes back saying that the OS is permanently activated, that means that the system's info/activation status is stored on the Microsoft servers.  What this means to you is that you won't have to worry about activating Windows on this hardware as long as you're able to access the internet.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 wonderland

wonderland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:51 AM

Thank you very much for this advice!

I will do this on my main PC as well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users