Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New custom build shuts off and restarts automatically

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 AMDGuru

AMDGuru

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:48 PM

I just built a new system with an Intel Core i7 6700k, GIGABYTE Z170X Gaming 7 motherboard and a GIGABYTE R9 390 GPU.  I also have a Samsung 950 PRO M.2 SSD (boot drive) Samsung 850 PRO 2.5" SSD and Windows 10 Pro.  

I first got all the parts and built the system and everything worked fine.  I installed Windows and began running burn in tests on the GPU.  The computer was great.  Then I received my Corsair accessories like my light bar upgrade kit for the Dominator Platinum DDR4, blue individually sleeved DC cable kit for the AX860i and a front I/O panel for the Obsidian Series 350D(it was for a USB 3.0 exchange on my 650D case).  

So after I changed out front USB 3.0 port cables, swapped out all the cables running into the PSU, and changing the light bars on the DIMMs, I put it all together and I got nothing on the motherboard.  The system wouldn't even start up.  In fact, none of the LED lights on the motherboard worked.  So after playing with some cables, I got the lights to work, but then the system would shut off and restart automatically.  So I changed out the motherboard and GPU.  I then put the system back together and it still wanted to reboot automatically.  I then waited 2 weeks to exchange the RAM, but it still does the same thing.  Finally, I just swapped out the Corsair H105 AIO cooler and still the same thing.  All the lights come on, all fans start, the H105 looks like it's starting, but then after 5 seconds, it shuts back off.  

At this point I'm wondering if the Isopropyl Alcohol I used to clean my beautiful 6700k killed it.  So to recap, I'm not getting any video and the system shuts off and restarts automatically.  Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

This sounds a lot like a hardware problem.
As such, you may be better helped by the experts in the Internal Hardware forums located here:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

@AMDguru...I guess a moderator (I don't know who) locked the topic on the other thread. I understand, you were just following the direction of usasma above, but sometimes misunderstandings happen.

Anyway, on with the show.

You said:

So after I changed out front USB 3.0 port cables, swapped out all the cables running into the PSU, and changing the light bars on the DIMMs, I put it all together and I got nothing on the motherboard.  The system wouldn't even start up.  In fact, none of the LED lights on the motherboard worked.  So after playing with some cables, I got the lights to work, but then the system would shut off and restart automatically.

That was the beginning of the problem, right there. What you should have done immediately is remove all the add-on stuff and get the unit back to original specs and booting normally, then start testing each add-on 1x1 until you found the culprit.

wondering if the Isopropyl Alcohol I used to clean my beautiful 6700k killed it.

I doubt it. If you are speaking of removing old thermal grease with alcohol, that is proper procedure and will not harm anything. If you got alcohol on the contact pins on the other side, I don't think that would hurt it, but I don't know for sure either.

First, set your BIOS (probably UEFI) back to factory default before you do anything else and try to boot. Sometimes a system crash will corrupt the CMOS settings if it is bad enough.

If no joy, tear the whole thing apart. Rebuild it step by step, testing each part until it is together again. Here is a link to a method I have used (a benchbuild technique) for years when building and it has saved me many a headache avoiding a newbuild that will not boot.

Let us know how it goes; there is always a reason for this problem and you can find it.

Edited by ranchhand_, 16 February 2016 - 05:11 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

Just FYI - I've sent a request to reopen the topic in the Internal Hardware forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

Reopened topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605604/system-restarts-automatically/page-1#entry3936313 .

This topic is closed to avoid further confusion.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users