Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Clock Watchdog Timeout

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 PCCraig

PCCraig

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

I have a CyberpowerPC that is still having these BSOD from day one.

It even happens at the end of running the Sysnative tool, so I zipped the files available in the directory--hopefully that is all of them.

I've tried a number of steps to identify the issue, but no success:

- Memory diagnosis from Admin in Control Panel

- CPI tests from Intel, which include CPU temparture monitoring that looks fine

- Samsung health checks on the SSD

- CoreTemp also is fine

- I've used a few different tools to ensure drivers are up to date and address registry issues

The BSODs can be prompted by stress, e.g., a performance benchmark program has CPU test called physics that will usually cause a BSOD. But they happen even after just using Word for a while.

So I'm stumped and would much appreciate any help!

Craig

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

No memory dumps uploaded, none visible In KernelDumpList.txt

No evidence of BSOD's, although there are some signs that can be interpreted as BSOD's

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 4701) dates from 2014.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.

Only 4 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

You have a 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card:

I do not recommend using wireless USB network devices.
These wireless USB devices have many issues with Win7 and later systems - using older drivers with them is almost certain to cause a BSOD.
Should you want to keep using these devices, be sure to have the latest W7/8/8.1/10 drivers - DO NOT use older drivers!!!
An installable wireless PCI/PCIe card that's plugged into your motherboard is much more robust, reliable, and powerful.

Not much else in the reports.

I'd suggest running these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Unless you've already run the exact same test, please run all of the tests.

Also, please run Driver Verifier to see if we can force a memory dump to be captured.

Please follow these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

And finally, please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:48 AM

These are very helpful thanks.

I did a bios update--to 4801 but only a few months later in 2014

I checked, but no additional windows updates

I have ordered a new network card

I struggled to run these diagnostics, but will try again tomorrow. Tried to set up a small memory dump but did not generate one despite a number of bsod

One thing I have noticed is that performance monitor sees only 8 GB of RAM.  Looks like 2 of the 4 sticks are bad--no change even after I tried reinserting them.Speccy doesn't seem to notice that and the memory diagnostic also reports no problems.

But perhaps that is the problem?  Just need some fresh memory?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:29 AM

Missing memory?

Could be:

- bad sticks

- bad slots

- incompatible memory

- motherboard not supporting more than 8 gB

What is the exact make and model of your motherboard?

How much RAM is installed?

Have you checked the RAM on the QVL list to make sure it's certified for use with your system?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:52 AM

Its an Asus P9X79 LE (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P9X79_LE/ )

The installed RAM is 4 x 4GB, total of 16 GB, using 4 of the 8 slots

It is ADATA memory 1333. Will check QVL

#6 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yes, the ADATA memory is on the QVL

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/P9X79-LE/P9X79_LE-DRAM-QVL.pdf

Though I will need to check the specific part number.

#7 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

I have moved the memory from the existing slots to 4 open ones. They are now all functioning which is great. (Some were previously squeezed under a fan and also a power cable)

The first 2 times I tried running the CPUmark tests, the computer did the physics test without a BSOD, but it did a BSOD on the third.

Still I want to see if the frequency is reduced. I will also go back to the diagnostics above, but that may take a few days given work etc. 

#8 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:39 PM

Well it didn't take long to see that there is not a decline in BSOD, with both a pure blue screen, and one with the "Clock Watchdog Timeout"  My other version is just the :) unhappy face without the error message

Checked the memory part number; it looks like a 4GB version of an 8GB stick on the QVL list--task manager still reporting 16.0 GB which is much nicer to see than 8.0

Went through in more detail the device list, seeking to update drivers, and found a few more

Will have to come back to other tests later

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:34 PM

Let us know how it comes out.

I'm at a bit of a loss here.  My suspicion is that there's a bad slot on the motherboard - but more than 1 bad slot is a huge coincidence (and not very likely).

#10 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:45 PM

At last I managed to get 2 minidumps in the attached

Hope they are useful!

(This was the first time I saw the bludescreen get to 100% on saving data which is some kind of progress)

Attached Files

#11 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

At last I have some dumps in the attached, though only 2 minidumps. Hope they are useful!

This was the first time I say the blue screen get to 100% on saving data

Attached Files

#12 iConnorN

iConnorN

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:18 AM

I have this exact same issue with the same motherboard, in advanced power options set PCI express - link state power management, to off. Also in the basic BIOS settings I set the power mode from maximum performance to balanced, and that stopped the watchdog timeouts for me. 

I also don't see much of a difference in performance between balanced and high performance in the bios.

#13 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:50 AM

Many thanks for that suggestion iConnorN. In basic settings I had previously shifted to normal to avoid overclocking.

In advanced settings, I'm not sure I could find the setting you mention. Closest I could find was under APM, "Power On by PCIE/PCI" which was Disabled.

I've now attached the Event Log mentioned earlier, hope that is also useful.

Attached Files

#14 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

I'm now getting for the first time a "whea uncorrectable error"

A minidump was produced, but an error is preventing it being zipped

#15 PCCraig

PCCraig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:05 AM

So I overrode the permissions on the minidump file (why they changed not clear to me at all)

BSOD frequency is getting to be high now

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users