Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I find a good CPU for my computer to upgrade it ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Macieq

Macieq

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Hello, I have a Dell Optiplex 745 (Small Form Factor/SFF) computer  and I was wondering if I could get any help on upgrading my CPU.

Currently, I'm using Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 1 Core. It is x64-based PC. I would like to do some gaming on this computer. 

Therefore, I will need a decent processor.

A lot of people would say 'check your motherboard name and search the compatibility with the processor you want to get'. Unfortunately, it doesn't say or I have no idea how to find the name/number of my motherboard. I have attached a screenshot of the System Information, Summary and I hope it will help out a little.

Can I please get a list of compatible CPUs for my motherboard. (A website where it lists all of them, A list of worth mentioning budget CPUs or recommendation of the budget CPU or tell me if Intel i3 Processor would be compatible with my motherboard.)

VLmSTt.png

Edited by Macieq, 15 February 2016 - 02:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

The fastest CPUs you can put in an OptiPlex 745 are early (Conroe) core 2 duos (& quads??), (you would need a 755 or 760 for the later core 2 processors such a the E8400 or Q9550). It has an LGA775 socket motherboard so completely unsuitable for any i3 processor.

The SFF OptiPlex's are very restricted for space & have low rated power supplies, so you are very limited in your choice of potential graphics card upgrades. The integrated Intel graphics are not good for gaming.

Overall there is no hope of playing modern games with that computer.

Edited by rqt, 15 February 2016 - 05:20 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:48 PM

IMO...there are a lot of refurb systems that outstrip what you have and are what I consider "good buys" that you may want to consider.  Be sure to note whether they are SFF or not.  The PSUs will probably be the weak link in all of these systems because OEMs just do not seem to go above basic power requirements when they build for the masses.

Examples

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users