Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install anything from software manager (Peppermint)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

Every time I try to install anything from the software manager I press install and the button greys out like it's installing and the progress bar appears at the bottom but it never moves from 0% and after maybe 30 seconds the button returns to saying install without having done anything. I reinstalled the software centre and got back

Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-directory/normal" is discouraged ("x-directory" is an old media type that should be replaced with a modern equivalent)

Didn't fix the problem. Ran a general update, got back a lot of 404 not founds and a few failed to fetch and I still can't install anything. Anyone got any other ideas?

(machine is a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300, OS is Peppermint)

Edited by Izzye, 15 February 2016 - 02:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

Try following:

sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop

Find following line:

MimeType=inode/directory;x-directory/normal;

Change it:

MimeType=inode/directory;

Save the file and see if it works now.

Hope this helps!  :wink:

Edited by GNULINUX, 15 February 2016 - 04:57 PM.

#3 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Line said MimeType=x-directory/normal;inode/directory; don't know if that makes a difference to anything. Changed it and saved but still doesn't work :(

#4 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Just realised I'm on Peppermint 4, I might be a little out of date if that would cause this problem?

#5 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:00 PM

Well Peppermint 4 is based on Ubuntu 13.04 which was supported until 27 January 2014...

I think the repository's are dying if they aren't already dead.

I think it is wise to install Peppermint 5 or 6  :wink:

Greets!

#6 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:15 AM

Well Peppermint 4 is based on Ubuntu 13.04 which was supported until 27 January 2014...

I think the repository's are dying if they aren't already dead.

I think it is wise to install Peppermint 5 or 6  :wink:

Greets!

Well that would explain a lot; I've only had this computer up and running for about a month having not used it for probably over a year due to a dead motherboard, I had wondered why it was running a tad iffily. I'm currently on holiday but I guess upgrading will be the first thing I do when I get home, hopefully it'll run properly then :)

#7 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:56 AM

I would try Peppermint OS 6 (based on Ubuntu 14.04.2 and supported until May 2019).

Remember that the direct download link can be slow, so I suggest you use the torrent option if possible

Sadly Peppermint can not be upgraded so a full (re)install is needed.

Peppermint OS 6 is running flawless on both machines in my signature.

If you've got any problems just report back and we'll try to help you!

Good luck!  :wink:

Nice command to run:

ubuntu-support-status

Output on my main system:

peppermint@peppermint-home ~ $ ubuntu-support-status
Support status summary of 'peppermint-home':

You have 1522 packages (75.0%) supported until mei 2019 (5y)
You have 166 packages (8.2%) supported until mei 2017 (3y)
You have 55 packages (2.7%) supported until november 2016 (9m)
You have 77 packages (3.8%) supported until februari 2015 (9m)

You have 50 packages (2.5%) that can not/no-longer be downloaded
You have 160 packages (7.9%) that are unsupported

Run with --show-unsupported, --show-supported or --show-all to see more details
peppermint@peppermint-home ~ $ 

Greets!

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 04:55 AM

It can also be downloaded fast with Firefox, if the Down Them All download manager is installed, it's available from the 'add-ons' tab. 

There will be a search box, just type or copy/paste Down Them All into that box, and the extension should appear with the option to install. Once installed, it may be necessary to restart Firefox, there will be a link to do so if needed, and a page will pop up about the extension. This is the best download manager I've ever used, free or Pro Trial, and is still my workhorse for downloading large files. 

There's also the option to copy/paste the MD5 checksum, be sure to do so, and select MD5 to the left of where the checksum was copied, and press Start. On my meager ISP speed (15Mbps down), it takes about 7 minutes, this is where Down Them All really comes in, it milks every last bit of speed possible to get needed files. Plus if the connection is broken for a few seconds, no need to worry, the download won't be broken, will resume where left off. More about the extension below.

http://www.downthemall.net/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 17 February 2016 - 04:56 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users