Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Home premium upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chuckster

chuckster

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:01 PM

I have got a Family pack home Premium upgrade 3 user key that hasn't been installed on anything.Will this be good for 3 installs of win10 Home Premium?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 February 2016 - 10:41 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Windows 10 Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

If you have a licensed and activated copy of Windows 7 SP1 with all the current updates installed, it should be eligible for the free upgrade to 10.  Alternatively as of the November update, you should be able to do a clean install of 10 using the Windows 10 download you get from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 .

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 chuckster

chuckster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

So your saying I can do a clean install of win10 and use my upgrade key to activate it?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

So your saying I can do a clean install of win10 and use my upgrade key to activate it?

I doubt you'd be able to use an upgrade key.  If a machine has Win7, 8, or 8.1 on it already keys are a non-issue, the upgrade to Windows 10 process activates and licenses Windows 10 as part of the whole thing.

If you don't have Win7, 8, or 8.1 on the machine then you could try the "Perform a Clean Install" option with your Upgrade key on a machine with no OS, but I have no idea whether the upgrade keys will work or not as I don't know if they translate directly to the license key that would be on the Win7 machine that you would have used them on to upgrade Win7.  It strikes me as unlikely, though.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 chuckster

chuckster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

I'm going to fully update win7 and activate and try to upgrade to 10 from there.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:25 PM

I'm going to fully update win7 and activate and try to upgrade to 10 from there.

That is the path I would suggest.  Although you say that your are going to "fully update," and I ask:  For what purpose?

If you already have Windows 7 Starter, Home, or Home Premium each of these upgrades to Windows 10 Home.  If you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate these upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

There is no reason to apply, for instance, a Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade in the Win7 environment before applying the Windows 10 upgrade, since either Starter or Home Premium will upgrade to Win10 Home.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users