Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:49 PM

I tried to start up Thunderbird and I get a message that it is already running and to shut it off or restart computer.

I restarted computer got same message.
I uninstalled and reinstalled, got same message.

How can I shut down the Thunderbird that is already running?

I checked in Task Manager processes and there is no Thunderbird process running.

I have no idea what to do.

I have scanned my computer with AV, Adaware, Spybot and nothing found.

Please help.
Tricky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

Deleted profile.ini and all is well

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for posting the solution you found, since it may help other members who have the same problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 aelfgifa

aelfgifa

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:14 AM

Hi,

I actually have a version of the same problem and wanted to search the site before asking a duplicate question. It just started today for no obvious reason.

One of my TBird folders disappeared completely and when I was googling for a possible fix, somebody said to try closing it, then reopening it. When I tried to reopen it, I ran into the error message that TB was already running. But it doesn't show up in the list of processes. I really need that folder back.

1. What will deleting profile.ini do? Will I lose anything else?

2. Have I any hope of recovering my lost folder and its contents?

Somebody else told me today to uninstall TBird and reinstall it. I did. But as soon as I reinstalled it and clicked on the icon, I got the message that it was already running but not responding and I needed to close it. (same error message as before).

I've been trying to fix this for about 3 hours now and am ready to go to sleep. Should I delete profile.ini?

tia,

aelfgifa

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

When you uninstalled Thunderbird,a few little files remained in your computer,namely profile.ini.So when you restarted Tbird,it has a false sense that it was already running because of this leftover file.Yes,delete it.
Have you ever checked out the Thunderbird Forum?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 aelfgifa

aelfgifa

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:53 PM

Thanks TMack,

I'll delete the file when I get home (I'm on a public computer now) and will hope that the lost folder and mail will show up again. I did try the Thunderbird forums but didn't get what I needed - probably my own fault. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with it; I like the program. Yesterday was just bizarre.

aelfgifa

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

Your welcome.
Look in the Knowledge Base in the link I gave you...key in something like "lost mail folder" or what ever it was that happened to your missing folder.There is alot of information there and I'm sure you will get it sorted out.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 aelfgifa

aelfgifa

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:01 PM

Thanks again you guys.

I deleted it and now TBird works again. I'll start working on getting my old data back now - thanks for the link to the knowledge base site.

aelfgifa

#9 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:31 PM

The first thing you should do (next time it happens) is to open task manager processes and look for thunderbird.exe and if it is there then end the process and you should be fine.
I have had this problem numerous times with Firefox where I try to open it and it says it is already running. Task manager>process>end firefox.exe and all is well.

I know it's a little late now, but to avoid the problem next time I suggest you use http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php to back up your profile.

This way if you have to reinstall you can just load up your old profile.

Works for Firefox and Thunderbird.

Edited by trickydick, 11 August 2006 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

aelfgifa:

Something caught my eye when I read your original post here. By "disappear" do you mean it disappeared from the taskbar? If so, that is easy to fix. Open Task Manager, click on "applications" right click on Thunderbird or whatever application has vanished from the taskbar and click on "bring to front" This will cause the application to reappear in the taskbar and be in front of any other applications you have running, except for Taskmanager of course.

And yes, trickydick is right. If you have closed Thunderbird or Firefox, then open the program but get the message that it's already open, click on the processes tab in Taskmanager, find the process in the list and end the task. Firebird and Thunderbird will then open properly - at least it always has for me.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 aelfgifa

aelfgifa

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

Thank you again Tricky Dick and Orange Blossom.

1. Yes, I should have backed up my profile. But I didn't. So is it possible to get back everything I lost - addresses, mail from my lawyer, all that irreplaceable kind of stuff? Or is it lost. It seems like it would have to be on this %^%& computer somewhere.

2. The weird thing yesterday is that TB never showed up under processes in Task Manager and just for the heck of it, I used the SpyBot Tool to show running processes and it didn't show up there either. I let tech support at my ISP take control of my computer to look around and when he looked at my computer on his own box, TB *did* show up as running but he couldn't close it either. So -- I'm at a loss as to how to close a process I can't see (if this ever happens again and I hope it doesn't). sorry I got involved in your thread Tricky Dick, and deleting profile.ini did get rid of the error message so thanks for that and for the explanation on why

Orange Blossom - by disappeared, I mean that when I clean out my Inbox, I drag the mail I want to keep into folders. One particular folder (yesterday) just vanished. Didn't show up. So after the reinstall, and then the profiles.ini deletion, it is like I am running a brand new fresh version of Thunderbird. Is my original mail somewhere on my computer? I think I read that TB saves it somewhere as a gigantic text file, but that's all I remember.

aelfgifa (tearing my hair out at the roots)

#12 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:55 PM

In your start menu click on search and search all files & folders for the word mail.
Open all the folders where it says thunderbird in the path, it probably saved your old profile and should still be there.
I hope.

#13 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:58 PM

aelfgifa,When is the last time you Compacted your Folders in Thunderbird? This can cause folders to disappear.

trickydick,I don't understand why you are instructing aelfgifa to end the process in the task manager in your second last post,when in your very first post you said

I checked in Task Manager processes and there is no Thunderbird process running.

And your second post...

Deleted profile.ini and all is well

Confusing.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#14 aelfgifa

aelfgifa

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hello TMack,

1. I have never compacted my forders in TB. I thought that by taking things out of my Inbox and filing them in relevant folders this would work just as well. The folder that disappeared wasn't all that large. Have I made a fatal error (as far as recovering my data)? Because noe, everything is gone, not just the originally missing folder. TB looks like a fresh install.

2. I apologize for getting involved in somebody else's thread; it just seemed odd that both of us had the same peoblem on the same day - is something "going around'?

3. If indeed there is any hope, should I start a new thread? I'm glad things worked out OK for Tricky Dick, but I am hoping my old info is still somewhere on this computer and can be recovered.

Thanks

aelfgifa

#15 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

You are correct,keeping your Inbox empty is good practice to keep TBird running smoothly.Compacting puts everything in order and fills in all the blank spaces created by you moving things around.I do it at least once a week,be sure you are off line when you compact all your folders.
It's okay to join in on someone's thread when you have exactly the same problem,that's how we all learn. Posted Image
Did you look for your old mail folders using trickydicks method?

In your start menu click on search and search all files & folders for the word mail.
Open all the folders where it says thunderbird in the path, it probably saved your old profile and should still be there.

If that doesn't work spend some time in the KB.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users