Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling WindowsXP Operating System

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 delut

delut

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

Hi. My name is Delut and this is my first time on any forum.

I accidentally deleted critical software on my Hewlett-Packard Pavillion Model 700. In an attempt to fix it I installed the WindowsXP recovery disks (all 8) that I received from Hewlett-Packard. After installing them I get the following message:
"The system is not fully installed. Please run setup again.". No matter how many times I run setup I get the same result. Can someone offer a possible solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/320279

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

There may be an issue with the recovery disks themselves. If Agouti's link does not solve the issue then see if tapping F10 or possibly F11  at boot will bring up the HP Factory Reset Menu. This is only possible if you have an intact Recovery Partition on the hard drive.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07145

#4 delut

delut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Agouti and thanks JohnC_21, but I've tried all your suggestions with the same unfavorable results, that is:

When I complete the recovery option for destructible or non-destructible recovery whether from the recovery partition on the hard drive or from the 8 bootable disks, I still get the screen that reads "Recovery Finished!". Then, when I click on "Restart" to "restart the PC into user partition." the system boots up into the Windows Welcome screen. I enter the language, time zone info, etc, agree to the EULA and click finish. A frozen HP logo screen appears next with the message "Please Wait" with a frozen hour glass symbol and a frozen mouse arrow. After waiting 5 hours with no change, I manually shut down the computer. When I pressed the on button again to boot up I get the message "The system is not fully installed. Please run setup again."

Particular note to Agouti : I have no access to Sysprep or the Recovery Console so far.

Notes to everyone: I have no intention at this time to purchase the Spotmau BootSuite product as a solution.

Can anyone offer any other ideas?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

It's possible the hard drive is at fault. You can run a test on the drive using Seatools for Dos. Create the bootable disk and run the short and long generic tests.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201271en

Is this computer used only for basic browsing and email? How much RAM does the computer have and what is the CPU? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 February 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#6 delut

delut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:12 PM

Hi John. I believe the hard drive might be at fault also, from a software point of view, not physically damaged. Unfortunately, this is the only computer I have access to that could have downloaded anything onto a bootable drive. So, though your suggestion is excellent---that of using SeaTools for Dos, it cannot be used at this time. Perhaps I can buy some sort of disk repair bootable disk in my local Best Buy store at a reasonable price that can test and/or repair this disk, but until then...

Except for my IPad (the original model) which I'm using for this forum, and my Android (smartphone), I have no other means of accessing the web.

The HP was used for almost everything, which is probably not the wisest idea, not the least of which is the security issue and the fact that it doesn't support all the modern programs I would like to use. It's 13 years old. So, I plan on getting a new one soon, but I'd like to fix this one at little or no cost, and use it as a spare when the new one breaks down. If I can't fix it soon I WILL have to get a new one just to accomplish my routine tasks.

The computer has 512MB RAM and an Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.53GHz.

Any further suggestions? Anyone?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:57 AM

Do you have any peripherals attached to the computer like a printer or whatever? If so, you need to unplug the device(s).

To check your hard drive for errors and attempt to repair them you could try booting to the recovery console and running chkdsk /r

To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:

1. Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.

2. Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.

5. It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter.

6. If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

7. At the C:\Windows> prompt type chkdsk /r and press enter

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 delut

delut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

Congratulations and thanks Leurgy! You have solved the problem! By following your advice to the letter I was able to successfully boot up the system. My thanks also to JohnC_21 and Agouti for all their help and anyone else who may have submitted a reply but whose reply I have not read yet and who have all worked diligently and exhaustively on this problem. Thanks to all!....but....

Now I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet. After talking to Microsoft and having them tell me they cannot offer free help because XP is no longer supported I now ask for anyone at BleepingComputer.com if you can help. I'm getting the message "Cannot find server - Microsoft Internet Explorer". "The page cannot be displayed" every time I click on the Microsoft Internet Explorer button.

I've checked with my Internet provider and he assures me there's no problem at their end and I'm convinced he's right.

HP tells me they can offer no free help because my system is no longer supported.

I need to be able to connect to the Internet so I can download Service Packs 1 and 2 and all the other updates, install better security, antimalware, antivirus, etc.

Anyone...please feel free to offer suggestions.

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:27 PM

Glad to hear you have solve you problem.

Now I'm having trouble connecting to the Internet. After talking to Microsoft and having them tell me they cannot offer free help because XP is no longer supported I now ask for anyone at BleepingComputer.com if you can help. I'm getting the message "Cannot find server - Microsoft Internet Explorer". "The page cannot be displayed" every time I click on the Microsoft Internet Explorer button.

I believe the "server" it cannot connect to is the default home page for IE.  In any event, that shouldn't prevent you from connecting to the internet.  You can change the home page and see if you are still getting the message.

Edited by Agouti, 16 February 2016 - 08:28 PM.

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

Its not unusual to not be able to connect to the internet following a reinstall of the operating system. The problem is usually a driver for the network card that is needed.

Is one of your recovery disks labelled "Drivers"? If so, put that in your cd drive and look for the Network Interface Card driver, or perhaps it will be called Realtek network adapter or Broadcom or something similar.

Failing that we can hopefully find a driver from the HP website. The problem I'm having is that I can't find an older HP machine when using Google to look for an "Hewlett-Packard Pavillion Model 700". There is a newer version but that won't help. Can you look on the back of the machine for a more definitive model number? Using that we can no doubt find your driver.

To verify that the network card is the issue take a look in Device Manager for any devices marked with a yellow question mark or identified as unknown devices and let us know exactly how they are described. To get to Device Manager, go to the start button, click Run and type in Devmgmt.msc and click ok.

If you do have an unknown device, also right click on it, click properties, and in the box that comes up go to the Details tab and under Property change the dropdown list to Hardware Ids an give us the ID that shows up under Value. The first line should be enough.

So we need a more definitive model number and a look at Device Manager for any issues.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#11 delut

delut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:31 AM

Sorry Leurgy. I'm back to square one...that is...the computer just went back to freezing on the "Please wait......." HP invent logo screen with the frozen hour glass and frozen arrow. And using your suggestion of booting up with the hp windows disk and pressing "R" when the welcome screen appears does not work because the welcome screen does not appear!

Any suggestions?

Anyone?

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

It would really help if we knew the model number. Please take look for it.

The HP invent logo screen is also called a splash screen. It provides some advertising for HP whenever you start the pc. It also hides a screen that reports on what hardware the bios finds when you first start the pc and error messages that may be a hint to what might be causing problems. So lets disable that screen and hopefully find some info that will help.

When you see the splash screen, you should see a message on it that says something like press F2 to enter setup. Once you know the key you need to press to enter setup, boot the pc and spam that key until you get to the setup area (or bios). In there you should see something about the logo (splash screen) or perhaps it will reference Fast Boot or a Boot Time Diagnostic screen. We want to disable either of those or whatever else you find that may apply. Don't make any other changes when you are in there. You navigate around by using the arrow keys to highlight what you want to change. Once highlighted, press enter to bring up the options that are available. Again use the arrow keys to make your selection and press enter again to select that option. Once you have done that, press F10 to save your changes and exit. If you made the right change, you won't see the splash screen but instead you will see what the bios reports. If there is an error message showing let us know what that is. While you're in there, look for the primary hard drive and get the model number listed there and also look for any diagnostic program you can run. The model number should be in there also.

#13 delut

delut
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:46 PM

Hello again Leurgy.
This is the information regarding the model number on the sticker on the back of the tower:

HP Pavillion 700
HW BOM: 101 SW BOM: NA80
SYSTEM NUMBER: P9853A
SERIAL NUMBER: MX24728710

There are no words "model number", so the system number is the closest we get.

I could not disable the HP Invent logo screen. However, I was able to enter the BIOS.
Here's what I see:
Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility
Main Advanced Power Boot Exit

When Main is highlighted this is what I see:
Date (mm: dd: yay) Wed, Feb 17 2006 Item Help
Time (hh: mm: ss:). 14: 6 : 45
Menu Level >
Select Language [English]
Floppy Diskette A [1.44M, 3.5 in.] <TAB>,or <Enter>
select field.
>Primary Master [WDC WD800AB-22CB]
>Primary Slave [ None]
>Secondary Master [Hewlett-Packard]
>Secondary Slave [HL-DT-STDVD-RAM]
Installed Memory 1536MB/PC2100
Memory Bank 0 512MB DDR
Memory Bank 1 1024MB DDR
BIOS Core Version V6.0
BIOS Revision 3.13 09/11/2002

F1:Help F5:Reload default F10:Save and exit ESC:Exit without saving

When Advanced is highlited this is what I see:
Setting items on this menu to incorrect values Item Help
may cause your system to malfunction
Menu Level >
CPU Type Intel Pentium® 4
CPU Speed 2.53GHz/533MHz Select the operating
CPU Cache RAM 512K system installed on
Plug and Play OS [Yes] your system Which you
Reset Configuration Data [No] will use most commonly
Onboard Video Memory [1MB] .
Primary Video Adapter [PCI ]
PS/2 Mouse [Auto]
Local Bus IDE Adapter [Both]
USB Legacy Mode Support [Auto]
Onboard LAN Device [Enabled]
Set Supervisor Password Clear
Set User Password Clear
> I/O device Configuration
> On-Board Audio Options
> Hardware Monitor

When Power is highlighted:
After AC Power Failure [Stay Off] Item Help

When Boot is highlighted:
Boot-time Diagnostic Screen [Disabled] Item Help
Quick Boot Mode [Enabled]
> Boot Device Priority Menu Level >
Display the diagnostic
screen during boot.
When Exit is highlighted:
Exit Saving Changes Item Help
Exit discarding Changes
Load Setup Default Menu Level >
Discard Changes
Save Changes Exit System Setup and
saves your changes to
CMOS.

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:39 PM

Ok that's great information.

The first thing that jumps out at me is the "Date (mm: dd: yay) Wed, Feb 17 2006". If that actually does show 2006 its important that you go in there and change that to reflect the true date. You may have to do that each time you boot. This usually means that your cmos battery is dead, but that's an easy fix.

Change the Boot-time Diagnostic Screen [Disabled] to Enabled

Change the Quick Boot Mode [Enabled] to Disabled. That should kill the splash screen.

Save your changes and exit.

When you see the boot time diagnostic screen, it should allow you to choose from a number of tests you can do. Don't do any the first time you boot after making those changes. Lets see if simply correcting the time lets you boot up. If it doesn't, I would suggest you test the hard drive first. Do a quick test first, then do the extended test if the quick test indicates something is wrong. Following that you can test the ram. What other tests are available?

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 12:47 AM

Nice work Leurgy!

@delut, When you get this sorted out you might want to look into installing a Linux OS on that pc.  It should run great and you won't have to worry about being safe online like with XP.  Here are a few links on this site that might help you if you become interested.  Hopefully you get XP working, that way you can download the linux system and try it out for free without even installing to your pc.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527392/with-xp-ending-what-are-your-alternatives/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577719/never-tried-linux-before-read-this/

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users