Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seamonkey install on LXLE 12.04

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:45 AM

Can't get this installed could use some help.

I tried installing from this link first http://www.lxle.net/articles/?post=lxle-switch-to-seamonkey-introduces-rotation-donation

Then when that did not work I went to the Seamonkey Site and tried that.  Unfortunately now I probably have a little mess.

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/install-and-uninstall

It seems now I have two Directories and can't make either one work.

One here: /home/pcpunk/seamonkey2

And one here: /home/pcpunk/.mozilla/seamonkey

I also ran this:

pcpunk@pcpunk-Aspire-3000:~$ ./seamonkey
bash: ./seamonkey: No such file or directory
pcpunk@pcpunk-Aspire-3000:~$

Edited by pcpunk, 15 February 2016 - 12:59 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:17 AM

I tried installing Seamonkey from the pre-compiled binaries on Ubuntu 14.04 AMD64, but ran into a long-standing bug and was unable to go any further.

The ZIP provided by LXLE is just a profile for Seamonkey, it won't do anything unless Seamonkey is installed. http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/2.0/install-and-uninstall is discussing how to install the pre-compiled version of Seamonkey, which is only available in 32bit according to the download page. Personally I'm running a 64bit OS, and if I recall correctly you are too which means it won't work, and you'll get a "No such file or directory" error when you try to execute it. You can add 32bit software support, but I'm not sure how this is done on your release of LXLE, which I assume is based off Lubuntu 12.04. I Hope that helps point you in the right direction though.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:43 AM

I see, but no - I'm running 32bit LXLE 12.04 on Acer in Signature.  I'll give it another go tomorrow.  Wish I had backed up with SystemBack, didn't think it would be so difficult to install.  I'll use an old SystemBack Image if needed and try again fresh.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

And one here: /home/pcpunk/.mozilla/seamonkey

I'm running 32bit LXLE 12.04

In that case, since you already have the profile setup, it should just be a matter of extracting Seamonkey to the place you want it installed. The official site suggests /usr/local/seamonkey.

These steps will download and extract Seamonkey to "/usr/local/seamonkey":
cd ~/Downloads
wget "http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/seamonkey/releases/2.39/linux-i686/en-US/seamonkey-2.39.tar.bz2"
tar -xjpf seamonkey-2.39.tar.bz2
sudo mv ~/Downloads/seamonkey /usr/local/

You then be able to run Seamonkey using:
/usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:50 AM

Thanks hf, that was my next question, but I was thinking to "mv" from "/home/pcpunk/seamonkey2/seamonkey" to "/usr/local/".  Haven't had time to work in it but will soon.

Would someone advise me if this is correct, or if I should even do it this way?

sudo mv ~/pcpunk/seamonkey2/seamonkey /usr/local/

Then still got that file in "/home/pcpunk/.mozilla/seamonkey"...and don't know if that one should stay there or not?

Edited by pcpunk, 16 February 2016 - 09:59 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

Thanks hf, that was my next question, but I was thinking to "mv" from "/home/pcpunk/seamonkey2" to "/usr/local/seamonkey".  Haven't had time to work in it but will soon.

Then still got that file in "/home/pcpunk/.mozilla/seamonkey"...and don't know if that one should stay there or not?

The file in your home directory can probably be left alone.  I'm guessing it's a default config file of some kind.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:06 AM

Which one are you talking about mremski, they are both in /home right?

The first being in dir of seamonkey2 and the second in .mozilla.

I created seamonkey2 then put the seamonkey.tar.bz2 downloaded file in it from Downloads.  Don't know how the one got into .mozilla, perhaps that one is a Config file and is the one you are referring to?  Gotta Go, thanks!

EDIT to post #5

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

I was referring to the one in .mozilla

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Thanks mremski, and hollowface!

I realized later I got this wrong sudo mv ~/pcpunk/seamonkey2/seamonkey /usr/local/

I think it should be sudo mv ~/pcpunk/seamonkey2 /usr/local/

See what I mean, if I understand correctly...I need to move the whole dir "seamonkey2" to /usr/local/ and not just the "/seamonkey" file/dir.  It was already Copied to the appropriately named file, and then Extracted in that file/dir.  Now, if I follow hollowface's directions, should I also Delete the "seamonkey2" file that I created in "~/pcpunk"?  Don't think it matters much but don't wan't any garbage laying around that might complicate things further.

I will wait to hear back because there is no hurry.  Perhaps hollowface will advise to just follow the "from the start" Instructions he provided, which I am fine with, but also curious if just moving it would be the same outcome?

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

Gave my theory a try Lol, not a good theory lol.  Here is what happened:

pcpunk@pcpunk-Aspire-3000:~$ sudo mv ~/pcpunk/seamonkey2 /usr/local/
[sudo] password for pcpunk: 
mv: cannot stat `/home/pcpunk/pcpunk/seamonkey2': No such file or directory
pcpunk@pcpunk-Aspire-3000:~$ 

Then tried this, now will check if dir was moved:
pcpunk@pcpunk-Aspire-3000:~$ sudo mv ~/seamonkey2 /usr/local/
This moved the file now will check if seamonkey works.

I take it a Re-Boot is needed at this point? on with it!

Edited by pcpunk, 16 February 2016 - 06:52 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:36 PM

Boy what a learning exercise this is!  Got it working but lots of errors and don't have the patients to log or post.  I just moved the file and got rid of "seamonkey2", don't even know what that dir was for, nor the seamonkey start-up command that the seamonkey site provided because it did not work, I used the one hollowface provided : http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/install-and-uninstall#install_linux

"This creates a "seamonkey" directory under your seamonkey2 directory.  What the heck was this for?
1. Change to the seamonkey directory (cd seamonkey).  Even after the directory was in place if I used this command, it would say directory did not exist?
2. Run SeaMonkey with the following command:
./seamonkey"  And again this did not work

I will save the Terminal output in case anyone wants to see it, it's quite long and means nothing to me.

Also disappointed to see that LXLE got it's greedy little hands on this browser, I wonder if that seamonkey profile/mod that I mistakenly downloaded is the culprit, need to track it down in .mozilla I think.  Here: 

Now also having issues with LXLE Updates after trying this install last night, along with seamonkey not wanting to Update.

Edited by pcpunk, 16 February 2016 - 07:43 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

I think I should leave this because it don't seem to all be right.  Perhaps will need to use a restore point and start all over, darn linux documentation.  Disappointed with seamonkey documentation here for sure, they were not clear as far as I can see.

pcpunk@pcpunk-Aspire-3000:~$ /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey
enigmail.js: Registered components
1455667815325	addons.xpi-utils	WARN	Error: XPI database modified after shutdown began (resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProviderUtils.js:432:17) JS Stack trace: this.XPIDatabase.saveChanges@XPIProviderUtils.js:432:17 < XPIDB_updateActiveAddons@XPIProviderUtils.js:1378:9 < XPI_shutdown@XPIProvider.jsm:2562:7 < _startProvider/AMProviderShutdown/<@AddonManager.jsm:843:21 < Promise@Promise-backend.js:385:5 < _startProvider/AMProviderShutdown@AddonManager.jsm:841:16 < Barrier/this.client.addBlocker/promise</trigger@AsyncShutdown.jsm:686:23 < Barrier.prototype<._wait@AsyncShutdown.jsm:830:7 < Barrier.prototype<.wait@AsyncShutdown.jsm:814:28 < AddonManagerInternal.shutdownManager<@AddonManager.jsm:1233:15
A coding exception was thrown and uncaught in a Task.

Full message: TypeError: root is null
Full stack: this.PlacesBackups.getBookmarksTree<@resource://gre/modules/PlacesBackups.jsm:539:19
TaskImpl_run@resource://gre/modules/Task.jsm:314:40
Handler.prototype.process@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:934:23
this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:813:7
this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:747:1
Spinner.prototype.observe@resource://gre/modules/AsyncShutdown.jsm:523:9

Full stack: this.PlacesBackups.getBookmarksTree<@resource://gre/modules/PlacesBackups.jsm:539:19
Handler.prototype.process@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:934:23
this.PromiseWalker.walkerLoop@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:813:7
this.PromiseWalker.scheduleWalkerLoop/<@resource://gre/modules/Promise.jsm -> resource://gre/modules/Promise-backend.js:747:1

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:01 PM

$ wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/releases/2.33/linux-i686/en-GB/seamonkey-2.39.tar.bz2

$ tar -xjvf seamonkey-2.39.tar.bz2

$ sudo rm -rf /opt/seamonkey

$ sudo cp -r seamonkey /opt/seamonkey

$ sudo ln -sf /opt/seamonkey/seamonkey /usr/bin/seamonkey

Thats the way I installed it.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:07 PM

My second attempt was much smoother

pcpunk@pcpunk-Aspire-3000:~$ /usr/local/seamonkey/seamonkey
[calBackendLoader] Using libical backend at /home/pcpunk/.mozilla/seamonkey/vqz687h7.default/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/components/libical-manifest
enigmail.js: Registered components

Thanks Nick, that will provide me more to learn.  I'll have to look up what all those commands mean? and assess what exactly you did.  Don't understand were you downloaded too "opt" O-boy that throws more options into the mix.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:16 PM

What version did you end up with Nick, mine is 2.39 and it is saying it is the latest current version.  Although, it said when it was installing, that is was an old version and needed to be Updated?

So far don't like it, and probably won't use it much, it was all about the experience really...and was hoping it would be a little faster than FF.  Scrolling is not good, seems really laggy/choppy.  I'll keep it and try to tweak it to see what the potention really is. 

Tried to get the Icon set as per the intructions at the seamonkey site but they are not LXLE friendly.

EDIT: Got the Launcher working and placed under Internet in Menu, just winged it, but it was not very intuitive.

Edited by pcpunk, 16 February 2016 - 08:34 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users