Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Reach Desktop in SBS 2011 (Server 2008)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jackleg1

Jackleg1

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

I have a server running SBS 2011. It's roles are DC, File/Print Server, DNS, DHCP, and Exchange Server. It serves approximately 15 clients. Recently, the server downloaded some updates and I manually installed them. About 2 days later, I went to logon to the server and after I typed in the password, the screen went black and has stayed that way for about 12 days. The server is functioning properly (all shared files/printers are available, exchange is working perfectly, dns and dhcp are working fine) but I have no way to control the server. When I try to RDP into it from the network, it asks for password and I type it in it then spends about 10 minutes trying to connect but eventually times out. I also have LogMeIn on the server. I can connect via LogMeIn but all I get is a black screen. Unfortunately, the NAS device that I was backing up to failed (all backup data lost) during the 12 day period. Over the weekend, I manually backed up all the shared folders and .pst files of all clients. I am reluctant to reboot the machine as I am not sure what is going to happen after reboot. If anybody has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I also have idrac enabled on the server and when I logged on, everything looks fine hardware wise. Unfortunately I don't have Enterprise license to allow for idrac console control to desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

Maybe you could gain some more information about the underlying issue by running event viewer on another PC but targetting the server.

To make the remote event viewer, we need to build a mmc console and add the event viewer snap-in.

To do this...

Login to another PC as domain admin,

Open up a mmc console as admin (start/run mmc, maybe need ot run it as admin)

from "File" menu (in the mmc) , Select "Add/Remove Snap-in"

Select event viewer (& click "Add" to move it to right hand column)

Select "Another computer" and type the name of the sbs server.

Select OK a couple of times and you should have an event viewer targetted at the sbs server.

You could also add other snap-ins such as the Services snap-in to the same console if they are relevant.

x64

#3 Jackleg1

Jackleg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:22 PM

Thanks for your input x64. It helped to shed some light on the problem and allowed me to feel more comfortable doing a hard reboot on the server. After booting into safe mode I found that a Service Pack had not installed properly. Windows reverted the changes that were made and when that process finished, I was able to boot into normal mode successfully.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:44 PM

Just to add (I live in the command prompt) to speed the process up run the command "eventvwr.msc nameofserver" and it will open the event viewer the fast way mate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users