Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop overheating to almost anything

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 poey27529

poey27529

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:16 PM

About a couple months ago i use to be able to play high demanding games such as far cry 3 , battlefield 4 , and other games on steam with no problem with the temperature. Right now with my laptop idle it runs at 68-70 degrees Celsius = 154-158 degrees Fahrenheit. But when i play any games it jumps to 85+ degrees Celsius = 185 Fahrenheit. 

I currently have an Alienware 14 gaming laptop for about 1 year now and this problem has just started to occur not to long ago.

I have a Cooler Master X-Slim notepal cooling fan/pad under my laptop when i play as well.

Is there anything that could be causing my hardware to overheat or something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:24 PM

Have you replaced the thermal paste?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 poey27529

poey27529
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:53 PM

No i haven't but it seems pretty risky trying to replace it. Is there any chance of me sending a static shock and destroying my laptop if i try? I already cleaned my fan before and that was pretty scary. Should i wear an anti static or something?

And if this is the problem what brand of thermal paste should i use?

Edited by poey27529, 15 February 2016 - 12:08 AM.

#4 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 08:08 AM

Have you checked to see if the heatsink is plugged with dust as well?  Laptops typically have a small heatsink right where the air exits the fan.  You'll probably have to pull the fan out to check it.  They'll get a big ball of dust on the inside portion of the heatsink that isn't always obvious just looking at it.

If you end up reapplying thermal paste, it's not that difficult.  Static has a potential to be problematic, but realistically, modern components are quite robust.  I've been less than careful with a lot of my parts in the past and have never fried a board or component from static electricity.

Best place to work on it is on a dining room table.  Before you sit down and work on it, touch some metal to discharge yourself if you are concerned about static. 

If you find the heatsink isn't plugged up, or you get to the point you are going to reapply thermal paste, come back and let us know beforehand as there are a few pictures and details we can give that'll help out.

As for thermal paste typically most of the brand name ones will be sufficient, however cooling in laptops is less than optimal.  If you are going to go through the trouble of reapplying new paste, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and get a highly rated paste.  The worst you''d be is out $12-$15 vs $5 for a cheaper alternative.

Whichever paste you get though, avoid any of the metal based pastes.  They are at the top in terms of performance, but they are difficult to work with, they are conductive and can NOT be used on aluminum. 

The top two rated conventional pastes according to http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/12/ are Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Gelid GC-Extreme.

I personally have the Gelid and am quite happy with it.  The Gelid is a bit thicker in consistency than some of the cheaper pastes, but I used a hair dryer to warm the paste, CPU and heatblock before applying and it was no worse than using any other paste.

Edited by Ram4x4, 17 February 2016 - 08:33 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:35 AM

There are two fans in this computer.  Both of these should be removed in order to properly clean them.  You will need a canned duster, often incorrectly referred to as canned air.  Canned air can develop static electricity because of the oxygen in the air.  A duster uses an inert gas which will not create static electricity.  If there is a heavy buildup of dust and or particulate matter you may need to use Q-tips to clean the fan ducts out.

Arctic Silver is one of the more popular thermal compounds out there.  It does have a small amount of metal in the compound which if applied too heavily can potentially be a conductor between the pins of the CPU which could cause the CPU to fail.  But if you use the thermal compound as it is intended this will not be a problem.  You should only need a amount about the size of a grain of rice.  If you used a high powered source of magnification the surfaces of the heat spreader and the heat sink would look very much like a topographic map.  The thermal compound is meant to just fill the fissures between the two surfaces.

There is a fairly comprehensive video which will walk you through the process of reapplying the thermal compound.

Edited by dc3, 17 February 2016 - 09:39 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users