Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files deleted from local drive and NAS without warning

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy2210

dannyboy2210

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

I hope someone can help me here. I was streaming a movie from my PC to my PS4 when it stopped. I went back to the menu screen in the PS4 app (Plex) and it said the file I was watching was unavailable so I went to my PC and the game that I was playing wasn't responding and all shortcuts on my taskbar wouldn't work, including File Explorer.

When I did open explorer the first thing I noticed was that all my drives were nearly empty (C:/ and D:/ partition) and when I tried to open my network drive (NAS) i was prompted to log in (it normally opens straight up) but almost everything is gone. I had nearly 2TB worth of videos and music.

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit and there was no warning that files were being deleted, it's like they were there one minute and gone the next.

I am currently using BitDefender free version but it now doesn't seem to want to run, it keeps prompting me to restart. And I also can't get Windows Defender to run either.

I am totally stumped on this. I don't understand how I can lose terabytes of data from 3 drives instantaneously. 

I'm not holding out much hope of recovering anything, especially from my NAS but I need to know what happened to make sure it doesn't happen again, so any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users