Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what to upgrade Dell XPS 710

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 karaya1

karaya1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

I have an old XPS 710 that I want to resurrect as a work pc.  I retired it 3yrs ago when the HD quit and I recall the graphics card was on its way out (again) as well.

I had wanted to keep the current 950W power supply, optical drives, case, fans, motherboard, cpu and sound card.

My plan was to install a new SSD, probably 250GB with a new install of Win 7.  I was thinking of a second regualr HD to store large files so as not to clutter up the SSD drive.  I will need to add an old school 3.5 floppy drive.  Also replace the POS 8800 GTX graphics card with something better.  Not sure on a RAM upgrade.  I don't remember how much this machine had and it's not possible to boot up to find out.

PC is being used in my machine shop.  I'll be running Solidworks, Mastercam and Fusion 360 to design parts and program my CNC machines.  I don't need anything really powerful or blazing fast.  Looking to spend maybe $300, I'd possible stretch to $400 if need be.  Being a Dell I'm not sure what I can upgrade without running into any proprietary component issues?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:37 PM

What does the power supply look like? That is the most proprietary thing I have seen with Dell computers. The floppy drive could pose more of a problem. Do you need to be able to boot from the floppy, or will it be only used for reading / writing to the disks?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 karaya1

karaya1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

Power supply is a large black box with Dell's name on it.  Couldn't find any meaningful numbers on it.

Floppy drive will be for read/write only.  My CNC machine has a floppy drive to transfer programs.  I'd like to keep it internal vs an external one. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users