Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ideapad yoga 11s does not see new hard drive when installing OS

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 timcook8

timcook8

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Have an 11S that I am upgrading the SSD from 125 to 5oo msata. Had 8.1 now installing 10. When setup asks where to install the OS it shows no drives. I may need to add a driver to the win 10 disk before I burn it. Have 2 chipset options at lenovo support. both are exe files. Where would I add them? OR If I put them on a USB drive can I add them that way using the tool to add drivers within the install? When I put them on a thumb drive, I can not access them from the list of options to load a driver.

Edited by timcook8, 14 February 2016 - 02:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:29 AM

Can you see the SSD in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

yes. Can see it in the bios info as the proper drive. I attached it using an external adapter and can see it there too. Just does not see it as a drive when you are installing windows. It is not a drive option to install to. Formated it when using the adapter.

#4 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

Also see it in the boot menu under legacy options

#5 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

The bios is a InsydeH2O bios version is 1.03

#6 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

Still there DC3?

#7 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

This seems to be the exact problem I am having except that is a m200 500 gig drive http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Laptop-sees-new-M500-in-BIOS-not-OS/td-p/149172

Edited by timcook8, 15 February 2016 - 12:10 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

I am not sure this will work but go here and download the f6flpyx64 zip file. Extract the contents to the root of a USB flash drive. Click on the Windows 10 install screen that has the load driver link. You cannot use an exe chipset file to load drivers during the install.

650x381xscreenshot.12.jpg.pagespeed.gp+j

If there is an OS currently on the disk, then download CPUz. Under mainboard what is the Chipset listed as? 

#9 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

Ill give it a shot. Thanks and I will let you know

#10 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

Heads up the raid driver installed but still no drives seen. Also downloaded acronis True image bootable and it did not see the new drive when I tried to clone. The new drive is in the machine. Old drive in usb adapter. Acronis saw the old drive but not new drive.

Yes there is an OS on the new drive (from a clone using Reflectl) there is still a working OS on the old drive

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,633 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

I am not sure but if the computer is UEFI then the disk must be initialized as GPT first.

With the new drive in the computer start the Windows 10 install disk. At the first screen press Shift + F10. This will bring  up a command prompt. Type the following

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     where X is the drive where windows is installed. It will be disk 0 if the computer has only one drive

clean                This will delete all partitions on the drive but is required to initialize as GPT

convert GPT     Initializes the drive as GPT

exit      exits out of diskpart

exit      exits out of command prompt

Continue with the installation. Does Windows 10 now detect the drive initialized as GPT..

Note: You have to have your UEFI set to UEFI mode and not Legacy or CSM mode in your UEFI settings.

#12 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

formatted it as GPT before. when the bios sees it in the boot sequence the only time it sees it is as a legacy option. If I enable UEFI, it does not see it as boot option. Still sees it in config but not boot

#13 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

Sees it a s a external drive when I use adapter, just not when it is in the machine. Spoke with Crucial again. They think it may be due to a Marvel controller on the drive is not compatible with the Yoga 11s

#14 timcook8

timcook8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Any idea on how to clear the CMOS on the Yoga? Battery is soldered on. Don't see any jumpers.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,633 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Unfortunately I don't know how to clear the BIOS other then resetting. From the posts,  you do have a drive that will boot. Download CPUz and provide the chipset listed under the mainboard tab.

As an confirmation, download Linux Mint 17.2 cinnamon. Burn the iso and boot. Does it detect your SSD?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users