Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC posts but still no display

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Malekoth

Malekoth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard

AMD FX 8350 4.0 G Processor

4x 8Gig G-Skill Ripjaw  2133 RAM (32G total)

XFX AMD R9 390 8gig GPU (replaced AMD 7950 3gig)

Seagate SATA 2tb HDD

750 W PSU

I woke up one morning to no display when booting PC. I initially thought it might be the graphics card. I wanted to upgrade anyway, so I jumped the gun and purchased a new one. Same problem. There is no display.

Here is what troubleshooting I have done:

Tried 3 different monitors

Tried all other PCI-E slots

Tested all voltage on PSU using a multimeter (exactly where it should be)

Removed all RAM and GPU.... I get a long beep followed by 2 short (indicating RAM is missing).

I insert one RAM stick (tried all sticks separately in different slots), and I then get one long beep followed by 3 short beeps (missing GPU)

Insert graphics card and then I get a successful POST beep, and still no display.....

I downloaded the latest BIOS from ASUS and flashed/updated using the designated USB/ ROG connect button on back of board

Also disconnected/reconnected HDD

The Crosshair V Formula Z also has a Q-Code display during boot which shows no errors.

There are also 4 led lights for CPU, GPU, Boot Device and DRAM. Manual states if there is an issue detected, the light will stay on.

They are all off...

I feel like I have narrowed it down to possibly motherboard issue or CPU, but would I get a successful post beep with a malfunctioning CPU? Sadly I do not have a spare CPU or Motherboard kicking around for testing.

Another thing of note: over the past couple months, my pc would randomly run slow, take forever to load program, and games ran a bit choppy. I would reboot, and everything would be fine again....So this makes me thing maybe CPU? Sigh....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:31 PM

ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard
AMD FX 8350 4.0 G Processor
4x 8Gig G-Skill Ripjaw  2133 RAM (32G total)
XFX AMD R9 390 8gig GPU (replaced AMD 7950 3gig)
Seagate SATA 2tb HDD
750 W PSU

Another thing of note: over the past couple months, my pc would randomly run slow, take forever to load program, and games ran a bit choppy. I would reboot, and everything would be fine again....So this makes me thing maybe CPU? Sigh....

This sounds more like a hdd issue, unrelated to the current problem.
Do you have integrated graphics?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Malekoth

Malekoth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 08:38 AM

No, I do not have integrated graphics. Also, I have tried with no HDD connected. I cannot even get to bios if whether have an HDD or not. I will pick up a SSD on my way home from work. If this is what is causing the slowdown, I am happy to upgrade. I was thinking the slowdown was related to no display. Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 15 February 2016 - 05:08 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users