Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update & Store Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andrew193

andrew193

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

I seem to be having 2 problems and don't know if there related.

In window update i have several programmes which are stuck at "downloading" and all have an error code 0x80246008. All are also reporting that they "Failed to install" with dates from the beginning of February.

Also in Windows Store i have 29 apps which, for the most part, stuck at "Pending" whilst others are stuck at "Starting Download" but none go any further. With the store problem i've tried several "fixes" which i found online but none have worked.

Don't know what else i can do.

Edited by andrew193, 14 February 2016 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:44 AM

First try this:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/916251

Then try this (it's a W10 fix, but I suspect it'll work with re-registering apps in W8/8.1):
1)  Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps

I have run into issues with the Store apps that only a Refresh will fix.

Have you tried to Refresh your system?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

usasma, thanks for posting this but i read that after the November update the Powershell command will in fact "break" the windows store so i'm loath to run it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:39 AM

Your choice.  Good luck to you.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 10:32 AM

The November update bug which has affected a number of users (like me) has completely trashed many Microsoft and other apps, including the Store itself (which means you cannot re-install them). It is triggered by the Powershell command,Get AppX Package to re-register apps. Numerous fixes have been tried without success and there has been nothing from Microsoft. But there is a possible fix now, I am trying to use it but have to get technical help for each corrupt app in turn,  so it is a slow process. But if you or anyone else find you need it I will post the link to the article here.

#6 andrew193

andrew193
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

The November update bug which has affected a number of users (like me) has completely trashed many Microsoft and other apps, including the Store itself (which means you cannot re-install them). It is triggered by the Powershell command,Get AppX Package to re-register apps. Numerous fixes have been tried without success and there has been nothing from Microsoft. But there is a possible fix now, I am trying to use it but have to get technical help for each corrupt app in turn,  so it is a slow process. But if you or anyone else find you need it I will post the link to the article here.

Seeing the article would be interesting. As Microsoft know there is a problem since November why haven't they provided a fix ???

#7 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

http://www.techtantri.com/windows-10-apps-not-working-download-apps-folder/

It is a 9 page article somewhat technical (to me) but very clear, step by step instructions, patience required. So far I have got back Weather and Groove but I am stuck at the moment with Store, the most important.

Why indeed has MS not produced a fix --- I posted questions about it in half a dozen forums, including the MS Community, but no help of any value was forthcoming until the article linked to above. If you follow it up I will be very interested to hear about it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users