Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my HDD dead?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Zurikas

Zurikas

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

Hello!

I have a problem with my HDD. I want to reinstall windows on a laptop but I can't because HDD is acting weird. I want to reinstall because when I started my windows it started doing repairs and it was taking forever. Also when I want to install I get past through language and region selection but when I press Install windows the setup just gets stuck at Setup is starting with loading cursor and it's loading forever. Then I tried to remove HDD and try to install windows without HDD and it worked, I get past through Setup is starting screen and I could continue. 

Also I tried to put that HDD from laptop to my PC where Windows is installed in SSD and it got stuck at Windows loading screen with rotating circle. Do you have any suggestions or I should think about buying new HDD?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:11 PM

Is this problematic hard-drive a 2nd hard-drive?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Zurikas

Zurikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

In laptop it's one and only and on my PC it's second after my SSD

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

Precisely which Windows is supposed to be installed on this laptop?  32bit? 64bit? 7? 8? 10?  Precisely how large is this problematic HD?  If more than 2TB, you might [or might not] be running a miss-match: a GPT HD and trying to MBR-install Windows.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 February 2016 - 01:10 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Zurikas

Zurikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:27 PM

64 bit, I tried 7 and 10 both same problem. It's 500 GB size

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:55 PM

I'd try running hard drive diagnostics.  Two places to download them from are Western Digital and Seagate.  When you run them, pay particular attention to the SMART data.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 Zurikas

Zurikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

I'd try running hard drive diagnostics.  Two places to download them from are Western Digital and Seagate.  When you run them, pay particular attention to the SMART data.

Good luck.

I can't even load windows with this HDD, how i  should do that?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

Good luck.

I can't even load windows with this HDD, how i  should do that?

I think Niweg meant to indicate downloading and making a usb boot stick or dvd boot with those tools on it -- on another computer.  Then "sneaker-netting" the usb or dvd boot to the problem computer, booting, and running the tools.  If he means the above, then I hope he can tell you how to frankenstein the tools, 'cause I have not been able to do that, yet.

Edited by RolandJS, 14 February 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:24 PM

In laptop it's one and only and on my PC it's second after my SSD

If it's the secondary on the PC, and is detected, then install Seatools for Windows on the SSD and run the short/long generic tests. 

#10 Zurikas

Zurikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:47 PM

But the question is how I should run it if when i connect the HDD to my pc the windows doesn't load it just get's stuck at loading screen.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

I was under the assumption your SSD had a bootable OS and you connected the failing drive as a secondary. Are you saying with the failing drive connected on the PC the SSD does not boot?

If that is the case then download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso. On the desktop is an icon called Disk Health. This will start GsmartControl Run the short and long generic tests. Under the attributes tab look for any pink or red rows.

#12 Zurikas

Zurikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

Yeah the case is that when I connect failing HDD I can't use my pc anymore because the windows just doesn't load even when I setup to boot SSD first. And how I should run these tests when I can't use my computer? :D

Edited by Zurikas, 14 February 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

Parted Magic is linux based. You can remove the drive from the PC and replace it in your laptop. Boot the Parted Magic disk on your laptop and do the tests.

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Fixing-Disks-with-Parted-Magic

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 February 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#14 Zurikas

Zurikas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:26 PM

On laptop it's not working, my laptop doesn't even have OS now

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:41 PM

How did you burn the iso file of Parted Magic. Parted Magic is a self-contained OS. It will boot using RAM and the optical drive. Download the iso file of Parted Magic I linked to and burn the iso file using Windows 7 and later by right clicking the iso file and selecting burn disk image or use software such as Imgburn to burn the iso to CD or DVD.

Edit: a USB flash drive can also be used with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. You may need to change the boot order in BIOS. Some computers have a boot menu that will let you select the boot device. What is the make and model of the laptop?

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 February 2016 - 04:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users