Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Replacing a secondary Hard Drive containing user profiles, program files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyFromMoonbeam

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:25 AM

My Windows 10 system has two drives: drive c:, a 128 GB SSD drive containing the OS (windows 10), and drive d:, a 1 TB WD drive containing the Users folder Program Files. drive c: being kind of small, it seemed like a good idea at the time to move the users & program files folders to the bigger drive.

Drive d: has been acting up a bit (I see bad sector messages in the event log, though doing chkdsk at boottime reports 0 bad sectors). I purchased a 3TB Hitachi HD with the intent to replace the existing WD drive with the Hitachi drive.

I plugged in the Hitachi drive, and assigned it the letter F:. I imaged drive d: to drive f: using Macrium Reflect (actually it did not work (broken pipe, which could not be rectified with chkdsk) so I manually copied all the contents of drive d: to drive f: (that seems to have completed successfully); I'm not sure this is relevant).

Now, my question is, how do I make drive F: (the Hitachi drive) "become" drive D:, so that the OS starts using it instead of the WD drive? A few possibilities come to mind, but I am nervous about attempting any of them without getting confirmation...

1. Using Windows 10's Disk Management tool to change the drive letters around (change drive d: to drive g:, then change drive f: to drive d:). I haven't tried, but somehow I doubt that would work -- it seems like Windows would get upset should the users and program files folders go missing all of a sudden in between the two steps?

2. Remove drive d: from the system, and plug the Hitachi drive in its SATA cable. Would that make the Hitachi drive become drive d: all of a sudden? If so, could I later on plug the WD drive in the Hitachi drive's former SATA cable and have it become drive f:?

Or is there an alternative correct way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

I believe switching the cables should work.  You could also use the same methods you used to move the files from C: to D: to move them from D: to F:.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 JimmyFromMoonbeam

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:28 PM

Thank you for the reply.

Moving the files from c: to d: was done when the OS was installed. That was about 6 years ago, so I barely remember, but it was not as complicated because there were virtually no programs installed, and the users folder had almost no files in it.

Edited by JimmyFromMoonbeam, 14 February 2016 - 09:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users