Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer is using way too much internet?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 juts12

juts12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:11 AM

Hello, so my computer broke about a month ago and i sent it to some tech people. They replaced my motherboard bought me a new windows 10. I've had my computer for about 10 days and then I got a message from my internet provider that my monthly internet usage (60GB) is used and that they will shut my internet down until the end of the month. I figured out that the problem is in my computer by switching every other device off so only my computer is using the internet. Then I continued with the day and the next day I had already used 2.4GB of the new extra 10GB that i bought. I have no clue what to do, can anyone help me please?

Thank you! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:26 AM

The easiest way is to first enable a metered connection as shown here.  

Then download this utility. 

antibeacon10-full.png

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:34 AM

What I suspect you're seeing is the new information Windows 10 collects and sends back to its servers.  If you haven't gone to Settings->Privacy and turned off the things there, check it out.  There are 12 categories there, most of which have several on/off switches.  This new feechur can use a lot of bandwidth, and has raised a lot of controversy over what Microsoft is doing with all that data.  Check it out.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 juts12

juts12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

I did the settings thing and it looks like it's working, I didn't download that utility yet tho. If my computer still keeps using internet too much i will try that. I will inform you later. Thank you! :D

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:20 PM

If you did not disable the following then go through your settings and disable them. 

Wifi Sense

P2P updates

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:00 PM

I've already installed Spybot AntiBeacon on all 3 computers, so far, no extra problems detected.  I recommend simply installing, leaving all choices as Apply -- meaning nothing enacted yet; that way, if you need extra action, then the program's ready for ya  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

If you did not disable the following then go through your settings and disable them. 

Wifi Sense

P2P updates

JohnC, I'm using Windows 7 Professional, how would I check to ensure AT&T is not using my modem/router as a public hotspot?  And how I do check to see if I have something similar to the above [wifi sense & p2p update]?

Edited by RolandJS, 14 February 2016 - 01:02 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

I don't think ATT does that. I know Comcast sets up the router/modem to be accessed as a hotspot from other Comcast customers. 

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:32 PM

I know the above discussion is in relation to US service providers, but we have at least one major ISP in the UK - BT (British Telcom) - who make a feature out of using their retail routers to generate hotspots which can be used by anyone with a BT identity. However they make a point of explaining that while this uses a potential portion of your router's bandwidth it does NOT count against any bandwidth limits you personally may have.

I assume that the same would hold true in the USA or the ISPs would have a very hard time getting people to agree to it. Yes, I know it is in the smallish print, but even so . . .

Chris Cosgrove

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:29 PM

Chris, I checked thread starter's profile, it doesn't list where thread starter is from.  I was wondering if the internet service in his/her area [or country?] is not the same as what we are used to.  With AT&T DSL, I have a 150GB cap, of which I normally use 25% more or less.  AT&T U-Verse has a 250GB cap.  Thread Starter's 60GB cap has me wondering what internet service s/he is tied to.

#11 juts12

juts12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 03:54 AM

Chris, I checked thread starter's profile, it doesn't list where thread starter is from.  I was wondering if the internet service in his/her area [or country?] is not the same as what we are used to.  With AT&T DSL, I have a 150GB cap, of which I normally use 25% more or less.  AT&T U-Verse has a 250GB cap.  Thread Starter's 60GB cap has me wondering what internet service s/he is tied to.

So my internet provider is Tele 2, and I'm from Estonia. And I'm male :D

Also I downloaded the spybot anti-beacon and pressed the immunize button.

I don't know if this is working yet tho, my computer has already used 3.66GB of the 10GB already, is that normal?

And maybe this will help too: My network driver isn't working which means that i can't use wifi and that's okay to me since i can use a LAN cable. But because that driver isn't working I dont have the wifi settings...(Settings->Network and internet) There is no wifi option.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:59 AM

I have lots of programs updating themselves right after coldpost/coldboot, some hourly, some at every restart/warmboot ['cause that's the only such updates, it's their way or NoWay], some once a day.  All of these updates cost some bandwidth.  I have no idea what programs you have running from your morning til nightfall.  Let me borrow from two of the finest techs around:

Download, install, and run MiniToolBox and Speccy.  Save your reports!  Do not publish the reports here until given specific instructions on how to post them.  Reason for MiniToolBox and Speccy:  once it known what programs you have...better answers and solutions probably will soon be forthcoming.

#13 juts12

juts12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:59 AM

I have lots of programs updating themselves right after coldpost/coldboot, some hourly, some at every restart/warmboot ['cause that's the only such updates, it's their way or NoWay], some once a day.  All of these updates cost some bandwidth.  I have no idea what programs you have running from your morning til nightfall.  Let me borrow from two of the finest techs around:

Download, install, and run MiniToolBox and Speccy.  Save your reports!  Do not publish the reports here until given specific instructions on how to post them.  Reason for MiniToolBox and Speccy:  once it known what programs you have...better answers and solutions probably will soon be forthcoming.

I downloaded both, on MiniToolBox I did the "Select all" and "GO". What reports do I exactly have to post and of what? Thank you for the help!

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:54 PM

You have to wait for somebody who is a volunteer BC tech -- they are trained as to what report portions to post and how to post them.  They should be along sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users