Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my Graphics card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BigBoyBudda

BigBoyBudda

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:27 AM

hello and thanks in advance for any and all help!

i am looking to upgrade my GTX 745 to a GTX 980 ti. now i understand that if i do this i am going to have to upgrade my power supply also. i was looking into 750W PSU's but do not have much knowledge in this area. so my question is what should i upgrade along with my graphics card and PSU. what problems should i watch out for?

P.S. this is my first upgrade on a pc

Here are my comp specs:

16GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMMs] 

Premium Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R )(2x2)

16GB mSATA SSD Cache Windows 7 Pro 64 

15-in-1 Multi-slot Media Card Reader, 

4 USB Ports (Front/Top), 

Audio [Front 2USB2.0, Top 2USB3.0] 

300W Power supply

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor quad-core [3.6GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]

4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 [DVI, HDMI, DP, DVI to VGA adapter]

1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BigBoyBudda

BigBoyBudda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:22 PM

After doing some research i am thinking about replacing my PSU with a Seasonic Snow Silent 750W Power Supply and my GPU with a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 06G-P4-4998-KR 6GB CLASSIFIED GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling w/ Free Installed Backplate Graphics Card.  Do you guys think these will be great additions to my current setup? please let me know asap

#3 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:18 PM

+1 on the PSU - seasonic is an excellent brand. As far as the GPU goes, have you considered an AMD GPU? While NVidia is not a bad choice, it may not be the right one either. What are the specs of your monitor?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#4 BigBoyBudda

BigBoyBudda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

+1 on the PSU - seasonic is an excellent brand. As far as the GPU goes, have you considered an AMD GPU? While NVidia is not a bad choice, it may not be the right one either. What are the specs of your monitor?

well i was mainly going based off this website:  http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html 

and after doing some research i felt this was a great choice. i have a 1080p monitor at the moment but will be upgrading it along with my GPU and PSU. what monitor brands to do suggest? if you have a specific one in mind that'd be great! money is no issue.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:01 PM

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-90lm00u0b01370
1440p 144hz 27inch amazingness.

But all the cool kids are getting this
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002
34" 1440p widescreen 100hz
Little pricey though...

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 BigBoyBudda

BigBoyBudda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-90lm00u0b01370
1440p 144hz 27inch amazingness.

But all the cool kids are getting this
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umcx1aa002
34" 1440p widescreen 100hz
Little pricey though...

little pricey indeed haha. whats the point of high Hz on a monitor?

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:13 AM

Nvidia's cards tend to operate at lower temperatures with less power draw over AMD's cards.  That's not to say AMD doesn't make good cards, just something to be aware of.  The 980 Ti and 390X are excellent choices, but the 980 Ti is a bit more powerful.

For the power supply, Seasonic, Enermax, EVGA, and Corsair are all highly thought of.

The high hertz on a monitor relates to the refresh rate, the higher the Hz, the faster it refreshes per second.  On the video game consoles, those usually go up to 30 frames per second on most games, with the PC going 60 or higher.

3939.png

#8 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:57 AM

A higher refresh rate will allow you to see more frames per second than a traditional monitor. This will make game play smoother. 

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

Think of refresh rate in terms of FPS: 60Hz monitors can display a maximum of 60FPS, no matter how many the GPU is capable of pushing out. Personally I consider refresh rates > 60Hz as unnecessary outside of "twitch" shooters like CS:GO and refresh rates > 120Hz as a gimmick created to crank prices up. I use a QNIX monitor (1440p, overclockable refresh rate).

Pace, that's something I forgot to mention as power / cooling is typically not a concern for me with my cheap electricity and custom water loop. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users