Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted programs in C: Drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmillar

jmillar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:06 AM

I need to ask a couple of questions here if anybody has the time?

I put my Asus K54C back to O.O.T.B. factory settings by tapping F9 on a reboot and it went through a 'EMS settings' and restored the whole computer, took about an hour. As we all know there are loads of programs that are unwanted and just wastes space. Advertising, games and just junk basically.

I elected to install windows 10 and opted for the 'keep nothing' when it came to the programs that I wanted to keep. Just a complete install of windows 10 'only'.

It took everything of, even the factory settings for Asus programs that was on my desktop etc. My HD went from about 45 gig to just 15 gig but there are still programs on C:Drive such as the 'esupport' from Asus that is still there and its a whopper more than 2 gig in size.

My first question is: How do I get rid of these programs that are on C: Drive without upsetting the laptop's running (registry etc). These are not in the 'programs and features' where you can uninstall them safely. Through past experience many years ago I did 'delete' them thinking I was doing good but totally messed up the laptop's running completely. So can anybody give me heads up as to how I can take them of safely?

My second question is: In my C:Drive there have been folders added that was not put there by me (I don't think so anyways) such as,

1. $SysReset. (I think it is a dollar sign at the start of the name, not sure) in this folder is 'Logs' and it has SetupAct_offline.log as a text Document.

2. Also 'ESD' on the drive but with nothing in it at all.

There are a couple of folders such as 'AsusVibeData' and the 'esupport' that was left behind when windows 10 was installed.

I just want to get rid of these folders that are taking up so...... much space safely and find out how to do it.

Cheers Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

You can uninstall programs from the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel.  My laptop is a Dell so I can't address Asus specifics, but I did uninstall a lot of the Dell programs with no ill effects.  I did make full system backups to an external hard drive before doing so though, so I could get back to what I had if need be.  That's something you should do before uninstalling those.  I see there's a live chat available on the Asus web site; you might want to inquire with them.

But I have to ask why you seem concerned about 30 GB of disk space when you have a 320 GB hard drive.  You still have 275 GB of free space.  The Dell stuff I uninstalled was programs that were loaded when I boot and stay resident.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 jmillar

jmillar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 04:47 AM

When windows 10 had finished installing I only had 5 programs in the 'programs and features'. The 'esupport' and other programs (mentioned above) are not there. So I don't know how to take them of safely. Or even if you can.

The $SysReset and ESD etc must have been put there by something but not by me. Strange how they got there. I am VERY.... wary about installing programs and won't if I can help it.

I don't know if you can take them out of C:Drive safely, unless someone knows on the site.

I will try the Asus live chat and see how it goes. Thank you for the reply Niweg, much appreciated......... Jim.

P.S. My HD is only 125gig. lol

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

125 gig does make things a little more constrained!  I see you can buy a 2.5 inch 500 GB internal hard drive these days for $43 US.  Might be a good investment.  Alternatively you could plug in a 64 GB SD card for $15.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 jmillar

jmillar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:46 AM

Ooops. Sorry that was 125 gig on C: Drive. I forgot there is 125 in D: Drive also. making it a 250 gig in total.... Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users