Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unable to click on anything with the mouse until I open task manager

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 adrianzen

adrianzen

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 03:31 AM

On a machine running Windows 8.1 64 bit, about once every few minutes the mouse will not be able to click on anything.  For exampe, if a window is open in the Google browser, the red x at the top right corner turns grey and the mouse will not be able to close the window.  One way to fix this is to open the task manager, (the mouse will click on task manager) click on google and then close the task manager and then the mouse will work for another 5 minutes or so.

I have tried changing the usb port the mouse is on. I am thinking of doing a repair install with the OS disk but not sure if that would help. I have tried to fix the mouse driver but I am not to sure how 8.1 works, at one point it said it was fixing something but the problem still persists.

The same problem occurs when I use Firefox instead of Chrome.

Thanks in advance for any help

Edited by adrianzen, 14 February 2016 - 04:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

It sounds like something is stealing focus.  You can try running Window Focus Logger to help you determine if another program or process is stealing focus.  (Note: When downloading, use "Softpedia Secure Download (US)".  The other download mirror is dead.)  The zip package contains two versions of the program - a Command Line version and a GUI version.  I would suggest you use the GUI version.  This program requires .Net Framework 4, so you will need to install that as well.  Please read the included Readme for instructions on how to use the program.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

It sounds to me like you may be paging due to RAM constraints.  When you run short on RAM, Windows will suspend current tasks until it's freed up some memory by paging to the hard drive.  This causes delays like you describe since the hard drive is about a million times slower than RAM (milliseconds vs nanoseconds).  But since you haven't said how much you have or how many tasks you have active, so we can't address that without more detail.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 poppykirk

poppykirk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 02 March 2016 - 02:30 AM

I have been experiencing a problem almost exactly like yours. I can click on desktop icons but not the task bar icons. Same goes for windows...if focus is already set I can click within that window but as soon as I try to switch to another window(click on different app) I am unable to click on anything after that until I hit windows key on keyboard, type in "task" and open up task manager, then use the keyboard keys only (do not try to click around) to select more details>details tab at top>scroll down with keyboard to winlogon.exe and kill the task. 

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

How much RAM do you have?  That's key to answering your question.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:40 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox to your desktop.

Right-click on MiniToolBox.exe and select Run as Administrator.

You will see an image like the one below.

minitoolbox_zps7byuwkla.png

Click on the following checkboxes only:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, then copy it and paste it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users