Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Offloading Photos From Camera

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kat

Kat

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

Does such a device exist that would let me move photos from my digi-cam directly to some kind of "mini" portable storage device such as a flash/thumb drive...maybe via a USB cord, for example? I've been dragging along my laptop on trips and using my USB cord to move photos from the camera's storage cards to the laptop for temporary storage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:24 PM

That's an interesting question..... I haven't seen anything like that though. The problem you would face would be powering the device - USB thumb drives draw power from the USB slot (BUS), and some external harddrives need there own power source.
The other problem would be the file system - as in how the data would be stored. It would still need to be interpreted by a PC before it is usable (other than connecting directly to those Kodak printers for example).
The only thing I can really think of would be a PDA. They are almost a laptop these days (with only a fraction of the size) and could possibly provide the interface you require - and the connectivity. Of course the problem is the price......

... I was just speaking the the photographer we have at work, and he says there are actually a few of those devices around - you can plug the mem card in and transfer you files, or alternatively some plug directly into the camera, and often they have their own viewer...

Here's One:

http://www.bits.com.au/newbits/ProductDisp...;BSR=E&OS=P

They seem quite hard to find...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 09:31 PM

Here we go... here's some more:

http://www.epson.com.au/products/multimedia/p2000.asp

http://www.epson.com.au/products/multimedia/p4500.asp

...and these guys make a few:

http://www.vosonic.co.uk/mmviewer.htm

Hope that helps!!! :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:02 AM

The memory card in the camera itself is a storage device and can be read by media readers which are cheap enough. Why do you need to transfer the pics to a thumb drive?

You can get flash memory cards for cameras up to 2 gigs, which hold thousands of jPGs.

#5 Kat

Kat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:52 PM

Wow, JP! Those links go to some pretty spendy devices!

Enthusiast...I can't really explain why I don't want to pack around a pile 'o memory cards...maybe because they are so easy to lose? Maybe because I want to offload photos as I take them each day and store them on just one device? I dunno........

What do you guys think of this:

http://www.delkin.com/delkin_products_usb_bridge.html

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:09 PM

Damn the description is almost exactely what you wrote. It looks perfect. I might even get one that is a nice idea... you could just bring a nice big 500Gigs hardrive and then imagine all the pictures your could take :thumbsup: Now that beats changing your role of film every 24 pictures :huh:

If you purchase it give us some updates I would like to know if it works good.

Edited by Klinkaroo, 31 July 2006 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users