Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HashTab_v5.2.0.14_Setup.exe WS.Reputation.1 Norton Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fishez

fishez

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

The following program that i downloaded HashTab_v5.2.0.14_Setup.exe,was automatically removed from my machine due to a threat called WS.Reputation.1. I am not sure why as this comes directly from the authors website and is sent via email for download along with a Md5Hash. Is this normal for this program or should i be avoiding it for the time being? Thank you

Best-

Brendan

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 14 February 2016 - 05:54 AM.
Moved from Win 10 to Anti-virus etc. Software

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hi fishez :)

HashTab is a safe program to use. I've been using it for months now and I can guarantee you that it isn't malicious. It is also the proper way to download it (enter your email on the website, and they'll email you a download link for it). Norton is probably flagging the installer as a false positive. This happens when a security software reports a legitimate file or process as malicious. I suggest you to read quietman's post below about the concept of false positive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/603101/false-positive/#entry3916358

So to sum it up, you can safely disable Norton, download the installer and then install the program before re-enabling Norton again. It's only a false positive. Symantec's Reputation System is causing more FPs than anything else if you ask me.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:50 AM

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Symantec WS.Reputation.1, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide. Further, for the novice user, rating sites can provide a a false sense of security.

WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantecs community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantecs reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantecs tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

Symantec: WS.Reputation.1
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users