Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop losing internet signal Win 7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ninjadice

ninjadice

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:42 PM

My internet "was" working fine, till I bought a refurb dell desktop running Win7 Pro.  It came with a wireless N adapter, I set it up everything worked fine.

About a week after I had it, pages wouldn't load unless I switched browsers plus I kept getting DNS error messages with troubleshooting.

So I changed DNS on both computer and router to googles.  It worked lightening fast for about 2 days then it started up again.  75% of the time I will just lose internet on the desktop, however 25% of the time when its really bad (won't even load one page without dropping signal again) it will knock the router offline as well and tell me to restart modem.

Hence has started a long nightmare lol in which I have tried the following:

1.  unplugged moden/router for 10 min
2. disabled windows firewall
3. pinged on laptop when desktop was having issues, it showed general error 25% loss however this doesn't always happen, sometimes when pages won't load desktop comes back 25% loss while laptop comes 0% loss
4. reset network adaptor
5. changed power management settings so computer could not turn off adapter
6.  initial ping test would only ping ip address, not hostname (ping computer worked fine)
7. reset network adaptor worked great all day then started up again at night (which is usually when this starts up) pinged again came back 25% loss
8. scanned pc for virus
9. flushed dns/netsh
10.  attempted to toss pc out window...just kidding...almost :)

Again, these problems with internet only started after I got the desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vcolev

vcolev

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

Have you tried a different adaptor? Does it work Hardwired?  Sounds like the adaptor itself, considering you tried all the items above.

#3 ninjadice

ninjadice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

Not yet tho that will be the next thing I try.  I think I may have fixed it tho.  I noticed the problem mostly cropped up when I opened a new tab in any browser, and that at least 50% of the time the first tab would hold a connection while the other tabs would not, and that didn't seem like any router problem to me so even tho I had disabled ms essentials and firewall and installed avg to try to fix the problem, I uninstalled avg and reset the adapter, it worked like a charm so I then enabled ms essentials and firewall, and its been fine every since....hopefully it stays that way ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users