Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Operating System failed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tammylouise

tammylouise

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:02 PM

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook with Windows 7 Starter.  When I switch it on it goes immediately to Startup Repair, says that repairs were not successful and the computer cannot be repaired, restarts and then does the same thing again and again.  I was advised to reinstall Windows using the option to retain user data.  When I do this, the progress bar remains at 0% for some time and then this message comes up:

"Restore failed - error code=0x45d (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image : The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)  Restore unsuccessful.  Please try Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults."

Is there any way I can backup the files on my computer before I do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 07:24 PM

I/O error usually indicates a hard drive problem.

Download Puppy linux on another computer. Create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus. Run Rufus and select MBR for a partition scheme. Leave everything as checked including Quick Format. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the folder icon, and browse to the iso image of Puppy you downloaded. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be erased.

Attach the USB flash drive and boot. Your hard drive partitions are in the lower left of the desktop labeled sda1..sda2...sda3 depending on how many you have. Your Windows partition should be labeled sda2. Click once on the sda2 icon. This will mount the partition and a File Manager will open. If you do not see your Windows files close out the File Manager and select another sdaX partition. Post back if you see your Windows files and I will post instructions on how to copy to another flash drive.

I recommend Lucid Puppy for compatibility. lupu-528.005.iso

You may need to have USB boot priority in BIOS. Tap F2 at boot and make sure USB is at the top of the boot list.

Some Acers have a setting in BIOS called D2D. This must be enabled before doing a factory reset.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 February 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:07 PM

As JohnC_21 says, you can boot up Linux and save your files.  I use Linux Mint myself, but there are many versions available.  Note that you can boot Linux and run it without needing to install anything on your hard disk. 

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $50 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 14 February 2016 - 01:11 PM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users