Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cool Half-life 2 Glitch

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:24 PM

Well, i recently fired up my Half-Life 2 again, and have been playing around w/ the console and different cheats for a while. Don't worry, i've beaten the game legit already, so i'm clear to use cheats..... that's my principle...

Anyway, for anyone who's played the game, do you remember the guy on the tv in the very beginning of the game? He's the one lecturing and "welcoming" you to City 17. Well, i found his "secret" broadcasting room :thumbsup:

Here are the steps and screencaps:

First, if you don't have it, you MUST enable the CONSOLE. Through Steam, right click on Half-Life 2, and go to Properties. Then go to the "Set Launch options..." and type in "-console". This will pop up a console window when you start the game (just X that out everytime), but it will also enable you to access the console in-game. You might have to enable the "~" key (upper left in keyboard) under the "Controls" and "Advanced" options in the settings menu in Game.

Well, after you enable the console (in game), type "sv_cheats 1" IN the console, then type (still in the console) "noclip" (both inputs WITHOUT the quotation marks). After you do that, follow my guide to see for yourself.

Starting Point
First, enter the town square:

Posted Image

Then go LEFT until you run into the barricade and force-field:

Posted Image

This is where the noclip function comes in handy.... pass the barrier until you see something similar to:

Posted Image

Then, go straight until you see the side of the building that looks like this:

Posted Image

In that same area (just rise up a bit), you'll see a tall, silo-like building that looks like this:

Posted Image

Almost there.... From this point, line up your crosshairs like mine in the picture below:

Posted Image

After lining up your crosshairs, strafe left until the city around you disappears, and you're left looking at the blue tower, support lines, and an odd black box in the distance:

Posted Image

Then, simply proceed towards the dark room... don't worry when the environment around you goes black:

Posted Image

Continue on, and soon you'll see the following:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Stay here for a moment, and you'll hear the exact same messages you've heard coming over the tv. Wait long enough, and you'll even see the blue logo/banner in between images of this bearded dude. It seems the programmers weren't expecting people to find the room, since the man has no lower body, and there's no REAL camera in the place recording his message.

If you have any cool/interesting/freaky/humorous glitches, post them here :flowers:

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 30 July 2006 - 11:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 09:46 PM

It seems the programmers weren't expecting people to find the room

I dissagree, they just hid him somewhere in the map but still, anywhere can be accessed with noclip so it isn't like they weren't expecting people to find him. Its because of the way they can use the source engine as a video camera to 'record' characters and project them on the monitors, they have to hide the room and Breen somewhere on the map, try killing him and see what happens. Also, take a look at (I can't remember which year) the E3 demonstrations of HL2, at one point in one of them, it'll show a room where there is a camera that is real time projecting the footage its capturing on screens in the room. Also, because its a secret room, they really don't need an actual camera prop.

Check this out, placing another character next to Breen gets them both on the screens.
http://hlcomic.com/index.php?date=2005-05-03

Edited by Wizdabest, 05 August 2006 - 09:52 PM.

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:01 AM

Hmm, did not know that thing about the source engine. Before i found his room, i just figured the video recording was an animation running from a file or something.

Thanx for the info

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:47 PM

Its cool, anytime there is a broadcast (at least I think) there is an area with that character somewhere in the map.

#5 Nat Sci

Nat Sci

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

I think its more of an easter egg.
Legend has it that... If you put an AOL disc the opposite way and play it you can hear devilish music... Even worse if you put it the right way... IT INSTALLS AOL!
Click here 3 times for $100,000<--- I mean .00001 dollars.

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

I wouldn't say its an easter egg, but finding it is a good example of the source engine's power.

By the way I love your sig.

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:57 PM

I don't think its exactly a glitch in the game, but its a really cool thing somebody recently found with the console in Episode 1. I don't know or not if that could be an actual weapon for a future title, but its still really cool to see it happen.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110926

There are some youtube videos of it in that thread too. I'll put a link to one of them below.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users