Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Failure to install, now crashes all the time.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 exSpire

exSpire

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:24 PM

Greetings. I am in no way an expert but i have tried many things and have come up stump. So i'm here in the hopes of someone being able to help me figure out my problem. So read my story to gain a full picture.

When windows 10 first came out i downloaded it like everyone else, however when installing it wouldn't finish installing, i waited for over 5 hours and nothing, it was just stuck on a percentage. After 2-3 attempts i found a work around on the internet and finally got windows 10 installed.

When ever i watched youtube videos (and this is mainly based around videos) my pc would just freeze. No blue screen of death, no laggyness, just total freeze and will not respond. So i thought i could be my video card, so i switched with my brothers video card and the problem still persisted.

I switched the PCI slot, problem still persisted. I switched the PSU, the problem still persisted. I ran memtest for 24 hours, memory is fine, problem still persisted. So i thought it was my SSD hard drive so i used my old backup storgae hard drive and installed windows on this, but the problem still persisted. I have tried to do a fresh install on the SSD two times but the problem is still there. I don't really have many options left because i literally have almost nailed everything down. The only real options left are these;

• take the old HDD out and try just the SSD by it's self.
  • Change back from a all in one corsair water cooling system to a normal fan
  • Replace the motherboard.

Also best mention that the computer only freezes right now when i'm watching Twitch.tv. Can't say for sure but happens more frequently when full screened or theatre mode. Also when playing games. (hence why i thought it was to do with the GFX card)

PC specs at the moment are.

• OP: Windows 10 pro 64 bit
  • CPU: AMD FX-9590 Vishera 32nm Technology
  • RAM: 16.0GB dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (11-11-11-28)
  • GFX: 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (MSI)
  • Storage: 500GB Seagate (Old HDD)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anything else you need please don't hesitate to ask.  :bowdown:

Edited by exSpire, 13 February 2016 - 04:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 exSpire

exSpire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:55 AM

Anyone?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:46 AM

Please be patient as there aren't many of us who work here.

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 exSpire

exSpire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

Please be patient as there aren't many of us who work here.

Let's try looking at these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Thank you for your reply. Apologies for being inpatient. This issue has been buggy me for months and i just can't figure it out.

BSOD Debugger, Event Viewer report, and temps are here.

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

The Admin log file shows a series of corrected WHEA errors just prior to the restarts.

The presumption here is that the last error wasn't corrected, and that's what forced the system to restart.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

While this is most likely a hardware problem, the possibility exists that it could be a compatibility issue, or a low-level driver issue.

Getting ALL available Windows Updates is very important at this stage of the troubleshooting.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F3) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 1 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

There's not much else in the way of evidence in the log files, so the hardware diagnostics are the most likely to help us in tracking this down.

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 16 February 2016 - 06:11 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 exSpire

exSpire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

The Admin log file shows a series of corrected WHEA errors just prior to the restarts.

The presumption here is that the last error wasn't corrected, and that's what forced the system to restart.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

While this is most likely a hardware problem, the possibility exists that it could be a compatibility issue, or a low-level driver issue.

Getting ALL available Windows Updates is very important at this stage of the troubleshooting.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F3) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 1 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

There's not much else in the way of evidence in the log files, so the hardware diagnostics are the most likely to help us in tracking this down.

Good luck!

Hello. I have ran memtest86 for 24 hours and no errors. I have used the seagate hard drive diagnostic tool and all is fine. I have all latest windows 10 updates. You said it could be a compatability issue, i was thinking it could be my memory and my motherboard because my motherboard runs a minimum of 1kmhz and my memory was 8016mhz. So i swapped the memory for my brothers who is at 1kmhz and i have had only one freeze since then. Any ideas?

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:46 AM

Have you run ALL of the diagnostics?  They include:

- anti-malware

- Memtest

- HDD diagnostics

- Furmark

- Prime95

- other video tests

- CPU tests

If you have, and they all have passed, then start on this:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

#8 exSpire

exSpire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

Have you run ALL of the diagnostics?  They include:

- anti-malware

- Memtest

- HDD diagnostics

- Furmark

- Prime95

- other video tests

- CPU tests

If you have, and they all have passed, then start on this:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Ah i didn't see the rest of them! I think i may have found the problem. Every time i run the Prime95 my computer freezes up. I have ran it twice and each time it happens. So what does this mean? Faulty CPU? overheating? (temps don't seem to rise very high).

Edited by exSpire, 20 February 2016 - 12:48 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

Prime95 tests 3 things:  RAM, CPU cache, memory controller (most likely in the CPU on your system).

You should monitor the temps as that'll give you a clue about overheating.

So, after running Prime95's Blend test, then run the Small FFT's test and the Large FFT's tests

Basically what you're looking for is to see if it crashes quicker or not on either of the tests.

Also, you should test the CPU with one of the CPU stress tests that are listed.

All of these will help to rule out the CPU - and if that's the case, then it's the RAM that you'd need to be concerned about.

#10 exSpire

exSpire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

Prime95 tests 3 things:  RAM, CPU cache, memory controller (most likely in the CPU on your system).

You should monitor the temps as that'll give you a clue about overheating.

So, after running Prime95's Blend test, then run the Small FFT's test and the Large FFT's tests

Basically what you're looking for is to see if it crashes quicker or not on either of the tests.

Also, you should test the CPU with one of the CPU stress tests that are listed.

All of these will help to rule out the CPU - and if that's the case, then it's the RAM that you'd need to be concerned about.

I will run them tests and report back, however i have just recently swapped out my RAM with my brothers. So surely it wouldn't be the ram?

Edited by exSpire, 20 February 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#11 exSpire

exSpire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:18 PM

I ran Prime95 on the small setting and it crashed and froze at the same time, i also ran it on the large setting and it just froze. Temps were around 59-64 on small, and 60-67 on large. I will use hot cpu tester pro tomorrow too.

23:36; thought i would run the cpu tester before i went to bed. i ran it for 8 minutes then decided to do it tomorrow, when i ended the test my pc froze again.

Edited by exSpire, 20 February 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:24 AM

Looking like a CPU problem to me.

Try switching out the RAM and test one stick at a time.  See if that changes things.

RAM is cheaper and easier to replace than a CPU.

Also, if you don't have any spare RAM, see if you can purchase RAM from a shop that will allow you to return it (for your money back) if it's not needed.

#13 exSpire

exSpire
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

Looking like a CPU problem to me.

Try switching out the RAM and test one stick at a time.  See if that changes things.

RAM is cheaper and easier to replace than a CPU.

Also, if you don't have any spare RAM, see if you can purchase RAM from a shop that will allow you to return it (for your money back) if it's not needed.

I have changed the RAM, i have tested one stick both times in each slot, still freezes. I don't even need to run a stress test i just go onto twitch and watch a stream and it crashes. When i have been in the case i have touched the CPU cooler and the pipes are very hot, and the grill is also very hot. Perhaps it's a cooling issue? But the temps never went above 56 degrees each time. I'm using a http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hydro-series-h55-quiet-cpu-cooler

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:51 PM

Never assume that software readings mirror the actual hardware.

Or, that the sensor is giving true readings.

A long time ago I had a system that was crashing constantly - but the temps were OK.

While messing around inside the case I got 2nd degree burns from the video card cooler.

It turns out that the sensor was broken and wasn't reporting correct temps.

A new video card fixed that system.

100ºC is the temperature of boiling water - and that will give you 2nd degree burns

What do you think the temperature of the cooler is?

Is it too hot to touch?

I'd post over in the Internal Hardware forums for assistance in fixing any cooling problems that you might have.

Here's a link over there:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users