Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to add guest wifi to home network using WAP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BulkheadSD

BulkheadSD

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

Hello,

I have wanted to set up a guest Wifi network for some time at home, but haven't had the patience to follow through with the project. When I attempted once before I ran into problems so I am looking to the experts to help me set this up. I have searched online today and read through dozens of forum posts on this site and others, but cannot find (surprisingly) any complete instructions on how to do this. I am hoping this post will help others in the future and would like it to include enough detail to be a useful reference.

To start, I recognize that it may be that I need to buy new equipment in order to achieve what I want, or that I may need to flash my wireless router with DD-RT (or other variants). If this is the case, please let me know. If I can do this with my existing equipment, given how popular it is, then this thread should be helpful to others.

Below is a diagram of what I want to do.  Note that I have this configuration working now at home without issue. What I want to do is create a Guest Wifi network that is SEPARATE from my home wifi and wired network.  No resources on my home network should be visible to the guest network aside from the Netgear router and cable modem.

Currently, my Linksys WRT54GS has DHCP enabled to provide addresses for wireless devices. I have static IPs assigned to all my wired devices.

I want the Guest Wifi to provide DHCP to guest devices, but I don't want to create an environment where the Guest Wifi device (WAP54G) is sending conflicting addresses to devices on the private network.

It seems I should be able to connect the WAP to the WRT54GS directly, configure it to use the WRT54GS as the gateway, and then put it on a subnet and instruct it to assign IP addresses from the subnet range. But I suspect it is not this easy.

What I need is someone with expertise with these products to help. I am sure the ability to do what I want is limited by the functionality of these two devices.

Thanks in advance for guidance!

Attached File  Home network with guest wifi.jpg   64.34KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BulkheadSD

BulkheadSD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

No advice or suggestions on how to do this with this equipment??

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:17 AM

Take a look at GRC's Multi-NAT Routers page.

The simplest way is to purchase a router with Guest network capability built in, but you can accomplish the same thing with two or more routers.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

if using multiple routers the guest network MUST be directly connected to the modem

Modem<>guest wifi router<>private wifi router

In your diagram you have the guest network passing through the private network which means guests can access the private network.

Alternately you can put in two wifi routers with a vlan switch between.  This is the most secure setup if not using a wifi router with guest network built in.

Modem<>non wifi router<>vlan switch<> both guest and private wifi routers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users