Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU, GPU usage fluctuation

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 zosaryk

zosaryk

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

I think this might a software issue, but the problem occurred in two different versions of Windows.

System specs:

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

980 Ti

16GB RAM

512GB SSD

1TB SSD

4TB HDD

Issue: CPU and GPU Fluctuation

CPU Graph (running wPrime): https://i.imgur.com/sbwa3rT.png

GPU Graph (running Valley): https://i.imgur.com/DagqVsi.png

Symptoms:

-In game: fluctuating FPS with GPU usage varying from 30-50%

-Task manager: CPU graph similar to a sine wave

Fixes attempted:

Uninstall GPU drivers with DDU

Reinstall latest/second latest driver from Nvidia

Reinstall Windows 10

Install Windows 8.1

Set power settings to "max performance" in Nvidia Control Panel

Set windows power to Maximum Performance

Reset motherboard BIOS settings

Increase Page File size

Notes:

-GPU usage at 50% a non-issue (frame limiter). Unlocked framerate = FPS fluctuations from 45-130 FPS

-Not thermal throttling

-GPU clock remains constant at load

-Sometimes is remedied by a system restart

-Problem typically occurs after system has been idling for a period of time

Edited by zosaryk, 13 February 2016 - 03:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:52 PM

I think it may be a psu issue... But i've never seen this before.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 zosaryk

zosaryk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:49 PM

I think it may be a psu issue... But i've never seen this before.

Unlikely. Issue popped up recently; previously the computer had been running for about a month with no issue and no change in hardware. A fix via soft restart also sounds like the psu is fine.

Psu is a EVGA 550W G2 model. Power consumption of system is around 400W at load.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:01 PM

are your in game performance just in single player games, or multi-player? Or, if its a single player game, is it a game that has to access the internet? If its a online game-your going to notice some fluctuation, especially if you connect to a lot of different players with different connection speeds. And what games in particular, are you noticing these issues with? and most games, even in single player, your framerate will fluctuate depending on the scene, 45fps is more then aceptable, and a jump between 45-130 fps isnt out of the norm depending on the sytem, the game, and the graphics settings.

Edited by the_patriot11, 13 February 2016 - 11:03 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 zosaryk

zosaryk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:29 AM

are your in game performance just in single player games, or multi-player? Or, if its a single player game, is it a game that has to access the internet? If its a online game-your going to notice some fluctuation, especially if you connect to a lot of different players with different connection speeds. And what games in particular, are you noticing these issues with? and most games, even in single player, your framerate will fluctuate depending on the scene, 45fps is more then aceptable, and a jump between 45-130 fps isnt out of the norm depending on the sytem, the game, and the graphics settings.

I first noticed it in game because of the visual nature of video games. Slight stuttering is very noticeable when you've been running the game flawlessly for 1+ months prior to when the issue first started cropping up.

I first noticed it in Final Fantasy XIV, but honestly, it's not a game issue. Running Unigine Heaven, Unigine Valley, OCCT, all reveal the same issue - fluctuating GPU usage, and as a result, FPS. I'm well aware of the changing nature of games in terms of processing power required (number of players rendered), to the varying nature of graphical prowess required due to ever-changing graphical scenes. With what is arguably the fastest consumer graphics card, 45 is most certainly NOT acceptable in anything other than the most graphically intensive programs. In short, I mean to say it is not a limitation of the hardware.

On top of that, the issue plagues both the GPU and CPU. The image I linked with the CPU usage was running wPrime alone - no graphical applications aside from the desktop itself were running. The GPU graphs were obtained with an offline synthetic benchmark.

To add, when I say the FPS fluctuates from 45-130, I mean it changes from 45-130 from one second to the next, without even changing "scenes", so to speak. It is not over a longer period of time.

Edited by zosaryk, 14 February 2016 - 01:06 AM.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:30 AM

30 fps is actually acceptable...its how fast even your blu Ray movies play, and after about 85 fps the human eye cannot tell the difference between framerates...

But, if you were running consistent framerates before, or at least not this drastic chances are something is going on. Do you have any kind of security software or background programs that run in the background? If so its possible one of them due to a recent update is taking up more of your resources then they have in the past. Try running your games and let your task manager run in the background and see if there are any programs taking more resources then normal or that you think they should.

And on first glance I'd say your right its not a PSU issue, but to cover all the bases, do you know on your PSU is that 550 watt PSU listed as a 550 watt continuous power supply or a 550 watt peak power?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 zosaryk

zosaryk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

30 fps is actually acceptable...its how fast even your blu Ray movies play, and after about 85 fps the human eye cannot tell the difference between framerates...

But, if you were running consistent framerates before, or at least not this drastic chances are something is going on. Do you have any kind of security software or background programs that run in the background? If so its possible one of them due to a recent update is taking up more of your resources then they have in the past. Try running your games and let your task manager run in the background and see if there are any programs taking more resources then normal or that you think they should.

And on first glance I'd say your right its not a PSU issue, but to cover all the bases, do you know on your PSU is that 550 watt PSU listed as a 550 watt continuous power supply or a 550 watt peak power?

550W Continuous, most likely. But the system draw has been tested to no more than 400W while running the OCCT PSU test.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:21 AM

Well, if its continuous, assuming the PSU is functioning properly, then your fine. If its a peak power, you may be having issues, which is why I'm asking. Seeing as it's EVGA I would assume it's most likely continuous, but something that wouldn't hurt to double check.

My money is in some kind of background process taking up to much processing power, have you had a chance to check your task manager for power hungry applications or not? If there's any your not sure if, post them here and we can work together to figure out if that particular application should be using the power it should.

picard5.jpg

#9 zosaryk

zosaryk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:08 AM

Well, if its continuous, assuming the PSU is functioning properly, then your fine. If its a peak power, you may be having issues, which is why I'm asking. Seeing as it's EVGA I would assume it's most likely continuous, but something that wouldn't hurt to double check.

My money is in some kind of background process taking up to much processing power, have you had a chance to check your task manager for power hungry applications or not? If there's any your not sure if, post them here and we can work together to figure out if that particular application should be using the power it should.

I would have noticed pretty quickly if it were a background process taking up too much processing power. The graphs I posted can be obtained while running synthetic benchmarks from essentially 0% CPU usage. My temperatures would also be higher than normal.

I can't think of anything that can explain why the CPU usage graph (at load) draws a pulsed sine wave.

Don't forget this is also a GPU issue. Running synthetic graphical benchmarks produces a similar phenomenon, albeit not as visually pleasing (in terms of graphs) as the CPU usage.

Edited by zosaryk, 14 February 2016 - 05:10 AM.

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

Look, this doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me...it sounds like something is running in the background, either an app that's malfunctioning or malware. Since I'm assuming you did a clean install when you upgraded to 10 we can assume it's probably not malware, but since windows and 10 share a lot of updates and programs its possible that the issue was reinstalled. The graphs don't show what processes are running, only the performance of the CPU and GPU. Every computer has dozens of processes that run all the time-regardless of what your doing. Normally, they don't take enough power to notice, but if one does develop a bug it can cause issues like this.

I can only help you if you let me. I suggested looking at your task manager under game and going through everything running. That is my best bet at what's going on, and I feel it's a waste of time to continue digging around until we rule that out. The only other thing I can think of offhand that could cause this is a registry error, but again since you reformatted and installed 10 that is highly unlikely.

picard5.jpg

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:25 AM

alternatively, if the taskbar turns up nothing you can download minitoolbox and see what it turns up. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

picard5.jpg

#12 zosaryk

zosaryk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Look, this doesn't sound like a hardware issue to me...it sounds like something is running in the background, either an app that's malfunctioning or malware. Since I'm assuming you did a clean install when you upgraded to 10 we can assume it's probably not malware, but since windows and 10 share a lot of updates and programs its possible that the issue was reinstalled. The graphs don't show what processes are running, only the performance of the CPU and GPU. Every computer has dozens of processes that run all the time-regardless of what your doing. Normally, they don't take enough power to notice, but if one does develop a bug it can cause issues like this.

I can only help you if you let me. I suggested looking at your task manager under game and going through everything running. That is my best bet at what's going on, and I feel it's a waste of time to continue digging around until we rule that out. The only other thing I can think of offhand that could cause this is a registry error, but again since you reformatted and installed 10 that is highly unlikely.

I have taken the liberty of providing a more visual aid of the problem in process.

wPrime:

Valley:

I feel that these videos should provide a slightly more comprehensive view on the symptoms of the issue. In both, I show the task manager as well as a few monitoring programs, basically showing that there are no abnormal processes in view, and that the only real stressor are the synthetic benchmarks themselves.

However, should you not feel inclined on viewing the videos, I'll go ahead and list the processes running during a bare wPrime benchmark:
Image Name                     PID Session Name        Session#    Mem Usage
========================= ======== ================ =========== ============
System Idle Process              0 Services                   0          4 K
System                           4 Services                   0      1,264 K
smss.exe                       356 Services                   0        224 K
csrss.exe                      560 Services                   0      1,952 K
wininit.exe                    648 Services                   0        580 K
csrss.exe                      656 Console                    1      7,072 K
services.exe                   696 Services                   0      5,616 K
lsass.exe                      704 Services                   0      8,848 K
winlogon.exe                   776 Console                    1      3,080 K
svchost.exe                    840 Services                   0      7,188 K
svchost.exe                    872 Services                   0      7,436 K
nvvsvc.exe                     952 Services                   0      3,480 K
dwm.exe                        984 Console                    1     48,044 K
nvSCPAPISvr.exe               1008 Services                   0      2,992 K
nvxdsync.exe                   344 Console                    1     10,744 K
nvvsvc.exe                     336 Console                    1      4,704 K
svchost.exe                    576 Services                   0     19,220 K
svchost.exe                    732 Services                   0     30,556 K
svchost.exe                    708 Services                   0     44,292 K
svchost.exe                    548 Services                   0     18,460 K
igfxCUIService.exe            1108 Services                   0      2,224 K
Start8Srv.exe                 1280 Services                   0        800 K
Start8_64.exe                 1304 Console                    1        696 K
svchost.exe                   1332 Services                   0     13,504 K
spoolsv.exe                   1580 Services                   0      3,808 K
svchost.exe                   1628 Services                   0     24,624 K
taskhostex.exe                1864 Console                    1      8,364 K
svchost.exe                   1924 Services                   0      5,272 K
dasHost.exe                   1960 Services                   0      7,000 K
AdjustService.exe             1968 Services                   0      7,708 K
GfExperienceService.exe       1264 Services                   0      4,680 K
NvNetworkService.exe          1780 Services                   0      3,356 K
NvStreamService.exe           2056 Services                   0      4,720 K
Service_KMS.exe               2088 Services                   0     11,236 K
explorer.exe                  2132 Console                    1    116,048 K
TeamViewer_Service.exe        2204 Services                   0      9,384 K
MsMpEng.exe                   2240 Services                   0    124,048 K
HWiNFO64.EXE                  2624 Console                    1     18,932 K
NisSrv.exe                    2708 Services                   0      2,452 K
PresentationFontCache.exe     3176 Services                   0      3,116 K
TeamViewer.exe                3392 Console                    1     22,224 K
svchost.exe                   3456 Services                   0      1,508 K
svchost.exe                   3484 Services                   0      8,596 K
svchost.exe                   3556 Services                   0      2,592 K
igfxEM.exe                    3760 Console                    1      5,024 K
NvStreamNetworkService.ex     4024 Services                   0      9,532 K
tv_w32.exe                    4104 Console                    1        996 K
tv_x64.exe                    4112 Console                    1        872 K
ApCent.exe                    4180 Console                    1     32,540 K
SearchIndexer.exe             4816 Services                   0     52,944 K
NvStreamUserAgent.exe         4156 Console                    1     10,072 K
conhost.exe                   4040 Console                    1        800 K
NvBackend.exe                 5164 Console                    1     22,788 K
nvtray.exe                    5216 Console                    1      9,352 K
thermald.exe                  6024 Console                    1     24,776 K
WmiPrvSE.exe                  6092 Services                   0      2,692 K
RtkNGUI64.exe                 4720 Console                    1      4,556 K
NvLedServiceHost.exe          6168 Console                    1      9,384 K
jhi_service.exe               1612 Services                   0        836 K
LMS.exe                       2488 Services                   0      3,344 K
svchost.exe                   3976 Services                   0      4,464 K
WmiPrvSE.exe                  4512 Services                   0     11,840 K
MSASCui.exe                   8456 Console                    1     19,232 K
MSIAfterburner.exe            2676 Console                    1     23,244 K
RTSS.exe                      9680 Console                    1     16,132 K
EncoderServer.exe             8684 Console                    1    136,320 K
RTSSHooksLoader64.exe         9716 Console                    1      6,752 K
audiodg.exe                   7964 Services                   0      8,180 K
notepad.exe                   1504 Console                    1      7,472 K
cmd.exe                       3492 Console                    1      2,304 K
conhost.exe                   7576 Console                    1      7,024 K
Taskmgr.exe                   6200 Console                    1     25,376 K
wPrime.exe                    2616 Console                    1     12,028 K
wPrime.exe                    8484 Console                    1      7,972 K
wPrime.exe                    6572 Console                    1      7,936 K
wPrime.exe                   10028 Console                    1      7,888 K
wPrime.exe                    2596 Console                    1      7,864 K
wPrime.exe                    5180 Console                    1      7,760 K
wPrime.exe                    6204 Console                    1      7,840 K
wPrime.exe                    2072 Console                    1      7,812 K
wPrime.exe                    1724 Console                    1      7,744 K
dllhost.exe                   9528 Console                    1      7,540 K
dllhost.exe                   4164 Console                    1      5,164 K
dllhost.exe                   9872 Services                   0      3,828 K
cmd.exe                       7096 Console                    1      2,328 K
conhost.exe                   7392 Console                    1      6,052 K
tasklist.exe                  8208 Console                    1      5,724 K

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

the problem is, with prime, you expect your CPU usage to go up and down (its a CPU tester after all) Im almost thinking we should ask an advisor to move this to the windows 10 forum, as I still suspect the problem is software related rather then hardware. Theres a small chance the problem lies within your video card starting to go bad, but I doubt it, as that is normally followed by more drastic symptoms such as artifacts, overheating, crashes, etc.

picard5.jpg

#14 zosaryk

zosaryk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:26 PM

the problem is, with prime, you expect your CPU usage to go up and down (its a CPU tester after all) Im almost thinking we should ask an advisor to move this to the windows 10 forum, as I still suspect the problem is software related rather then hardware. Theres a small chance the problem lies within your video card starting to go bad, but I doubt it, as that is normally followed by more drastic symptoms such as artifacts, overheating, crashes, etc.

If you want me to post a video of different synthetic benchmarks, I'm more than willing to. I can say, however, that the results are the same.

I doubt the graphics card is bad. I have RMA'd three times with new units each time, albeit for unrelated issues. The CPU/GPU usage fluctuation was exhibited more than one unit.

If you think I could get better help in the Windows 10 forum (even though I'm testing on Windows 8.1, and I already mentioned that the problem is exhibited on Windows 10 and Windows 8.1), then I wouldn't be opposed to it.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:15 AM

windows 8.1 and 10 have many similarities, Im suspecting its something to do with a update either with windows itself or a program/game you have had on both thats causing issues of some sort. to be honest, if I have the computer right in front of me, I could probably figure it out, but when it comes to software issues, ill admit im not always so great and locating them when I dont have the computer sitting in front of me, im not a software guy and im not afraid to admit when ive hit my limits. I am fairly certain that what your experiencing is not a hardware failure, which is where i specialize in, but software, which is why Im recomending moving to one of the software related forums so that perhaps someone whos better with software then I am can assist you.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users