Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not able to adjust brightness..

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 goutham794

goutham794

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Iam not able to adjust brightness on my Lenovo Windows 10 laptop. The short keys don't work and the option in taskbar on clicking the battery icon doesn't work either..

I think I got this problem after the windows update that came a few days ago. My laptop screen is brighter than my future right now and Im forced to use some third party screen filter software to avoid hurting my eyes..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:55 AM

If you hold down the Fn key while tapping F11 does that reduce the brightness?  Also, can you adjust the brightness from the Control Panel?  What is the model number of your Lenovo laptop?

Edited by Agouti, 14 February 2016 - 07:56 AM.

#3 goutham794

goutham794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

Its a Lenovo G580. For me its Fn key + up arrow or down arrow.. which doesn't work..

In display settings it doesn't even show the brightness adjust slider..

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:22 AM

Go into the BIOS/UEFI.  Switch to the Configuration tab and see if HotKey Mode is enabled.  If not, then enable it.

wNeQYh8.jpg

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:39 AM

Go to Control Panel -> Display -> Change Plan Settings -> Adjust Plan Brightness.  That's where the slider is.  Works on my Dell Inspiron laptop just fine. 

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,616 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

The original poster is not alone with this dilemma, though I cannot say when it started for me.  I have an HP 15-g035wm that has developed the same issues.  I have disabled the "Action Keys" feature in BIOS, but all that does is require me to push Fn along with the function key in order to get it to do its noted function.  I work with software that employs the function keys, so I need them to behave like function keys normally did, which means doing nothing unless Fn is pressed with them to trigger the "icon function." All of the other functions, e.g., mute, volume up/down, Airplane mode on/off, etc., work just fine but the brightness up/down buttons are not functional and I can find absolutely nothing in "the usual places" for a brightness slider for the display anymore.

If I use a program such as f.lux, it is still able to adjust the screen settings, and I even tried making sure that it did not start on system startup since I thought it could be interfering, but it isn't.

This thing has an AMD A8-6410 with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics.  The AMD Catalyst Software Suite was added after the upgrade from Win8.1 to Win10, but I didn't notice any disappearance of the usual Windows based slider controls at that time.

I'd love to know just what's up, and I wonder if "what's up" is with Windows 10 or not.

Edited by britechguy, 14 February 2016 - 11:35 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 goutham794

goutham794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

As ^ he said all other short keys are working fine for me.. so I guess hot key mode must be enabled already..

I dont have any "change plan settings" in display..

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:59 AM

This worked for me to bring back the slider but I am on Windows 7.  

Go to Device Manager in an admin account and Uninstall your Monitor. Then Scan For Hardware Changes. Reinstalling the Monitor brought it back for me.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,616 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

goutham794,

I, too, didn't have any "change plan settings" in display, but this is tied to your Power Plan and you can check under Power Options to find the brightness slider at the bottom.

Now, for my "big update" that I hope might prove helpful to you.  I had no "brightness slider" at the bottom of my Power Options dialog earlier this morning and the screen brightness setting in the Windows Mobility Center did absolutely nothing, either.  I then opened the AMD Catalyst Center on my machine which is what is now responsible for driver updates related to my display and it detected a slew of updates were available.  This came as a shock because I had applied a lot of updates somewhere between one and two months ago.

As today's driver updates were in the process of applying, suddenly my screen went to about 50% brightness, which I'd remembered is where I'd left the slider in Windows Mobility Center yesterday.  When I opened WMC again and started playing with the slider it worked.  My function keys now work again, too.

My suspicion is that you may be having the same sort of issue with the interaction between Windows 10 and whatever the current display driver is on your system.  Check at your manufacturer's website, either for the computer or the video card, to see if they've done any recent updates to the driver and, if so, definitely apply it.  Even if they haven't, you might want to try reinstalling the existing driver to see if that remedies the problem.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

As ^ he said all other short keys are working fine for me.. so I guess hot key mode must be enabled already..

At the same time it won't hurt to check the setting in the BIOS/UEFI would it?

#11 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:13 PM

At the same time it won't hurt to check the setting in the BIOS/UEFI would it?

He already posted his BIOS settings and the FN key is irrelevant.

Whats the status with this goutham794?

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,616 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Agouti,

The status of "Action Keys" or "Hotkey Mode" is irrelevant if you know that you need to press Fn+{function key} when it is disabled or just {function key} when it is enabled.  That is the sole purpose of that setting, whether or not you need to use Fn+ to invoke the function shown on the icon or not.

If you don't know whether it's enabled or disabled, a single press on a working function key will give you the answer based upon whether it performs the function shown immediately or requires you to hit Fn+ to get the function to occur.

#13 goutham794

goutham794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:25 PM

I checked for updates for display adapters in device manager.. no updates available..

Is it safe to uninstall it and reinstall?

#14 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

I checked for updates for display adapters in device manager.. no updates available..

Is it safe to uninstall it and reinstall?

When you remove your display adapter, you will have a completely black screen that will do you no good. So don't do that please, I have had that happen before and it's not pretty if you're not tech savvy.

Are you the Administrator of the computer, goutham794?

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#15 goutham794

goutham794
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

Yes I am

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users