Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Extreme tracking sites link IPs to Google searches and make them public"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

Hey everyone, first post on the board, big fan of the site.

So that quote was from the CEO of Private Internet Access named Andrew Lee from the article

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2168144/malware-cybercrime/can-your-ip-address-give-away-your-identity-to-hackers--stalkers-and-cybercrooks-.html

(Sorry if thats not linked right, im on my tablet)

So I guess my question is do tracking sites like this acually exist? I dont understand how they can actually track google or yotube searches from ips unless they actually hack into google servers..

Could I go to one of these sites, type an ip and then suddenly have all the searches associated with it? The whole concept of this makes little sense to me. How would I know if my ip was being tracked by a site likr this? Are there any examples of sites like this that anybody may know of?

Any and all info and feedback would be most welcome! Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,909 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

Tracking sites like that probably do exist.

An IP address by itself does not identify an individual, it does identify the router/modem is is assigned to at any one time. This is the determination of the courts in a considerable number of different countries now.

If you are being tracked it is unlikely you would know. As good an argument as any for practicing safe surfing and keeping you OS, anti-virus and malware protection up to date.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

Tracking sites like that probably do exist.

An IP address by itself does not identify an individual, it does identify the router/modem is is assigned to at any one time. This is the determination of the courts in a considerable number of different countries now.

If you are being tracked it is unlikely you would know. As good an argument as any for practicing safe surfing and keeping you OS, anti-virus and malware protection up to date.

Chris Cosgrove

Could you explain how one could accomplish that though? Would they be able to do it without infecting your computer?

Like for example, would I have to visit the site for it to start tracking me, or do these sites actively obtai n search logs from google etc then link then link them with you ? Or would trojan malware be needed ? My confusion is this; if they dont gain access to your computer, how can they actually see your searches by ip address ?

Edited by kurtgillis12, 22 February 2016 - 12:51 AM.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:24 PM

Post #3
Tracking is usually done by cookies, these are inserted into your browser by sites you visit, they are little identifiers which tell other pages that you are the same person as visited earleir pages. They can be cleared from settings within the browser, or you can set the browser to refuse them entirely, but if you do that login to some sites won't work, as logins often use cookies.

If tracking were done by IP adress without infecting the user's computer then the user could only be tracked on sites which were either collaborating in the tracking or were hosting pieces of content which were doing the tracking. For exmaple if bob logs down your IP adress when you visit one of his sites he could track you when you visit other sites he runs, or sites his friends run if they share the same database of ip adresses, or sites run by third parties which incorporate bits of his code, perhaps in adverts or iframes. He couldn't track you on the site of his arch nemesis, alice, who won't even dream of working with him for anything, much less sharing or receiving data from him or running bits of his code on her site. Therefore your searches could, assuming the person/organisation tracking you has only your ip adress and no infections they've put on your machine, not be seen unless they were on sites run by the people tracking you/the friends of the people tracking you.

If you ever really need to temporarily use a different IP adress to your own then a VPN or tor can let you surf the internet via a tunnel which lets your connections emerge onto the wider web from a place other than your own IP.

One other note, some people have dynamic IP adresses, others have static ones. Those with dynamic IP adresses can't be tracked like this as the IP they were using half an hour ago is probably being used by someone else now. ISPs will often hold records of "who had what IP at what time" so they can track an IP back to the person using it, but websites shouldn't be able to get this information, just the IP adress itself, which if you have a dynamic IP adress will no longer be yours within a matetr of hours.

Edited by rp88, 22 February 2016 - 12:24 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Post #3
Tracking is usually done by cookies, these are inserted into your browser by sites you visit, they are little identifiers which tell other pages that you are the same person as visited earleir pages. They can be cleared from settings within the browser, or you can set the browser to refuse them entirely, but if you do that login to some sites won't work, as logins often use cookies.
If tracking were done by IP adress without infecting the user's computer then the user could only be tracked on sites which were either collaborating in the tracking or were hosting pieces of content which were doing the tracking. For exmaple if bob logs down your IP adress when you visit one of his sites he could track you when you visit other sites he runs, or sites his friends run if they share the same database of ip adresses, or sites run by third parties which incorporate bits of his code, perhaps in adverts or iframes. He couldn't track you on the site of his arch nemesis, alice, who won't even dream of working with him for anything, much less sharing or receiving data from him or running bits of his code on her site. Therefore your searches could, assuming the person/organisation tracking you has only your ip adress and no infections they've put on your machine, not be seen unless they were on sites run by the people tracking you/the friends of the people tracking you.

If you ever really need to temporarily use a different IP adress to your own then a VPN or tor can let you surf the internet via a tunnel which lets your connections emerge onto the wider web from a place other than your own IP.
One other note, some people have dynamic IP adresses, others have static ones. Those with dynamic IP adresses can't be tracked like this as the IP they were using half an hour ago is probably being used by someone else now. ISPs will often hold records of "who had what IP at what time" so they can track an IP back to the person using it, but websites shouldn't be able to get this information, just the IP adress itself, which if you have a dynamic IP adress will no longer be yours within a matetr of hours.

Thanks rp88, very informative

So back to the original quote "extreme tracking sites can link your ip adress with your google searches"
For this to work, the attacking site sould have to infect your computer? But then technically linking to your ip adress becomes pointless as it can link directly to your computer and name. I feel like this quote isnt referring to beimg infected and more toward a way these sites obtain server logs and make connections eith ip address that way. Does that make any sense?

#6 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:17 PM

Answer to your original question: Yes, it's easy without even infecting your machine!  :whistle: 

Some useful sites to get an idea about tracking:
Visit this page and you see what every site you visit knows about your IP/machine, don't forget to scroll down!
Visit this page (click "Test Me" and after that "Show full results for fingerprinting") to be amazed how unique your setup is!

Every "thing" on every webpage can do that... and since you see (just 3 random examples) facebook, google+ and twitter buttons everywhere there's no further explanation needed! Most trackers aren't even visually observable...

In addition all (social media) platforms and (ad) companies share or sell data.

That way nobody knows where "your data" ends up!

Tracking = Data = Big money!

Greets!

#7 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

Answer to your original question: Yes, it's easy without even infecting your machine!  :whistle: 
 Some useful sites to get an idea about tracking:
Visit this page and you see what every site you visit knows about your IP/machine, don't forget to scroll down!
Visit this page (click "Test Me" and after that "Show full results for fingerprinting") to be amazed how unique your setup is!
 Every "thing" on every webpage can do that... and since you see (just 3 random examples) facebook, google+ and twitter buttons everywhere there's no further explanation needed! Most trackers aren't even visually observable...
 |
In addition all (social media) platforms and (ad) companies share or sell data.
That way nobody knows where "your data" ends up!

Tracking = Data = Big money!

Greets!

Very helpful, thanks for that!

So its clear that big companies like Twitter, Facebook, and Google track all this info. But they wouldn't be the sites that posted them online, id hope. But from what i understand, only google is seeing your google searchs, or perhaps if there is a facebook "like" button on the page they would see it too..

Just to play devils advocate here:
Lets say i wanted to be the guy to reveal everybodys google searches to the world . I wanted to link ip adresses with google searches and then try to put a name to them. Using the methods you talked about, would that be possible? How could a rouge hacker track people on a site such as Google or YT? Could it be possible to implant trackers into google or youtube? Or perhaps you stumble upon a site that steals your cookies with google search queries and thats how they do it?To me that is what the original quote is talking about
i would love to here opinion on whether that is possible or if what im saying makes sense!

#8 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Just to play devils advocate here...

You could buy the data once it's sold for the 10th time by Ad Companies.
Or you could even hack it at that stage...

Also there's this...

The HTTP referer (originally a misspelling of referrer) is an HTTP header field that identifies the address of the webpage that linked to the resource being requested. By checking the referrer, the new webpage can see where the request originated.

Source.

So every website can see what page you visited just before you watch their page.
Given enough visitors and you have a list with Google searches in the hands of a random site owner.
Read more about this: Google Analytics and Incoming Search Terms.

Last example...
When you visit a "http" site every server between you and the page you visit can see every bit you send and receive.

At every point there could be logging/tracking or even leaks/hacks!

And the most important thing:   :devil: 

Spoiler

Greets!

#9 kurtgillis12

kurtgillis12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:43 PM

Just to play devils advocate here...

You could buy the data once it's sold for the 10th time by Ad Companies.Or you could even hack it at that stage...

Also there's this...

The HTTP referer (originally a misspelling of referrer) is an HTTP header field that identifies the address of the webpage that linked to the resource being requested. By checking the referrer, the new webpage can see where the request originated.

Source.

So every website can see what page you visited just before you watch their page.
Given enough visitors and you have a list with Google searches in the hands of a random site owner.
Read more about this: Google Analytics and Incoming Search Terms.

Last example...
When you visit a "http" site every server between you and the page you visit can see every bit you send and receive.
At every point there could be logging/tracking or even leaks/hacks!

And the most important thing:   :devil: 
Spoiler

Greets!

So baiscally these tracking sites can see the google searches you made that got you to heir site, not ALL your google searches? Am i understanding that correctly?

Btw thanks for the replies!

#10 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:33 AM

Correct, just that one page before you visit their site!  :wink:

If you use DuckDuckGo you can adjust that behavior and much more (in settings under privacy)!

See also Ixquick and StartPage for similar settings.

Greets!

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

Note that when it comes to recognising individual computers by browser settings and such NOT having flash or other plugins installed, or atleast having them deactivated, vastly decreases the data that can be collected. But there will still be a lot of things that can be worked out about your system. And your IP adress will only ever be hidden if you use tor or a vpn, which most of the time aren't needed.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users