Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Windows 7 installation disk include drivers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Herbert667

Herbert667

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

I am about to format my hard drive and then reinstall Windows 7.

Question: does the Windows installation disk come with the proper drivers or do I

need to get them from somewhere else .

Thank you

Herbert 667

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:45 PM

No.  It does not come with drivers.

#3 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

Most drivers are available from the system manufacturer's web site, by model number.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

Hi,

I am about to format my hard drive and then reinstall Windows 7.

Before you format do you know if your computer have some Recovery Partition?
Restoring the computer using the Recovery Partition puts Windows in the factory state with all the needed drivers already installed.

Question: does the Windows installation disk come with the proper drivers or do I
                need to get them from somewhere else .

The Windows disk includes several drivers but not for all the hardware specially if you have a computer produced after Windows 7 arrived to the market.

If drivers are needed the only place you should use to get them is from the Manufacture of the computer or device.

If you post the type of machine (Laptop or Desktop) and the brand plus model of the machine we will be able to assist you better.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Pratish

Pratish

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:13 AM

Do A Recovery Point Otherwise you may Loose you Data

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:44 AM

Restoring the computer using the Recovery Partition puts Windows in the factory state with all the needed drivers already installed.

That's the good news. The bad news is it also (usually) puts back all the OEM pre-loaded bloat/crapware like Norton trial, malware magnets like very out-of date Adobe Reader, etc etc etc. Also if your computer was purchased before SP1 you get the added joy of first installing all the SP1 prerequisites, then the SP itself, then (at last count) about 240 post SP1 updates. If you also have Office... you'll be Updating & de-crapifying for about a month...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-installed_software

Often new PCs come with pre-installed software which the manufacturer was paid to include but is of dubious value to the purchaser. Most of these programs are included without the user's knowledge, and have no instructions on how to opt-out or remove them.

A Microsoft executive mentioned that within the company these applications were dubbed craplets (a portmanteau of crap and applet). He was saying that the experience of people buying a new Windows computer can be damaged by poorly designed, uncertified third-party applications installed by vendors. He stated that the antitrust case against Microsoft prevented the company from stopping the pre-installation of these programs by OEMs. Walt Mossberg, technology columnist for The Wall Street Journal, condemned "craplets" in two columns published in April 2007, and suggested several possible strategies for removing them. According to Ars Technica, most unwanted programs are installed by OEMs who receive payment from the authors of the software. At the 2007 Consumer Electronics Show, Dell defended this practice, stating that it keeps costs down, and implying that systems might cost significantly more to the end user if these programs were not pre-installed.

I'll take a clean install every time.

YMMV.

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 February 2016 - 02:48 AM.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:47 AM

Often new PCs come with pre-installed software which the manufacturer was paid to include but is of dubious value to the purchaser. Most of these programs are included without the user's knowledge, and have no instructions on how to opt-out or remove them.

I'll take a clean install every time.

YMMV.

Yes its true but for many not comfortable with doing that from scratch its a big help. In some cases there are also some useful pre-installed software specially on older models...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users