Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adblock Plus filters not updating?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 11:18 AM

Hello all,

A little background...

I run all the updates for firefox add-ons manually, just to keep track of what's going on.

Yesterday, when I did so for Adblock Plus, all the filters came back as "Failed, download failure" instead of "Success!".  I kept playing with it, and eventually it appeared to go through.  I checked again, and the failure appeared again.  From there it was a few repeats of appearing to work, then not. 

Since Ublock Origin uses the same filters (Easylist, etc), I figured I'd try that, and it appears to work, although after updating and selecting purge cache, it shows as out of date.   Anyone else experiencing this?

Also of note, as far as I can tell both add-ons were still blocking things but the update thing has me puzzled... :huh:

Edited by 66Batmobile, 13 February 2016 - 11:21 AM.

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

Which browser(s) are you seeing FAILED? I just checked in my Firefox browser. I have updates for Adblock Plus set for automatic.

Never had the problem you are having. I only use the Easy list. Perhaps you chose more than one list and one of them is offline.

My log shows the last update was successful 2 days ago.

This bit of info won't help the updating but if you haven't clicked on the ABP icon and chose Filter Preferences and then uncheck the

box next to Allow some non-intrusive advertisements....then you should do that.

Edited by buddy215, 13 February 2016 - 12:14 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I use Firefox (currently 44.01) with ghostery, noscript and better privacy, along with classic theme restorer and nosquint

Under filter preferences, you can manually choose to update each filter.  In addition to the defaults, I had "EasyPrivacy", "Fanboy's annoyance list" and "Malware domains" installed (total of 5).  Each one would behave as described in the original post.  Last night I unistalled adblock plus and intstalled ublock origin (which uses many of the same filters) but due to unfamiliarity I'm not sure it is updating the lists either.

As for the non-intrusive, that was unchecked.

I did some research but found nothing current, and the only thing that sounded applicable was something to do with trying a different DNS, which is above my paygrade.  I don't know, maybe a bug?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:54 PM

check for update for Firefox...latest is 44.0.2

I think in the USA just using the Easy list is sufficient. Plus you are using NoScript....the most important add-on for Firefox.

Adblock Plus can be easily customized to block ads.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

Weird,

Updated firefox, uninstalled UblockO and reinstalled adblock.  It was still doing the same thing, failed then eventually succeeded.  On a hunch I set MInt date and time back to "network time" and rebooted-seemed to work at first but now same thing.  :huh:

I did narrow it down what it's not connecting to.  Under filter preferences, next to each entry there are links for homepage & filter list.  The homepage ones display in the browser no problem, but the filter list ones are intermittantly loading fine then coming up "Firefox can't find server."  When they do load, that's when I can get the manual update to work.

The addon appears to be functioning.  The only other thing i can think of is some kind of clash between ABP and my other add-ons (or maybe the Tracking Protection thing in Firefox, which uses the Disconnect.Me filters].  Am I wasting time worrying about this?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

You can run Firefox in a private window. Click on File and then Private Window....the page will tell you what isn't saved/ allowed and what is.

The known malware domains are blocked by Firefox. You really don't need any add-on for that.

You can block the ad/ tracking cookies (third party cookies) from installing. How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

I would set the update for Adblock Plus to automatic and fergetaboutit.

You can use the settings for Adobe Flash to block the install of cookies, block the camera, etc.

Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Privacy Settings Panel

#7 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

You can run Firefox in a private window. Click on File and then Private Window....the page will tell you what isn't saved/ allowed and what is.

The known malware domains are blocked by Firefox. You really don't need any add-on for that.

You can block the ad/ tracking cookies (third party cookies) from installing. How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

I would set the update for Adblock Plus to automatic and fergetaboutit.

You can use the settings for Adobe Flash to block the install of cookies, block the camera, etc.

Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Privacy Settings Panel

Thanks for the help. :thumbup2:

I usually do private browsing anyway, thought maybe the addons were fighting each other.  I've actually been wondering if the current set-up is overkill.

If it persists I'll try adding and removing one by one and see if that does it. 

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

I use Firefox (currently 44.01) with ghostery, noscript and better privacy, along with classic theme restorer and nosquint

IMO, having so many of this type of add-on is overkill and may mess up a lot of websites. I'm quite satisfied with Adblock Plus alone. I have many filters, including EasyList, EasyPrivacy, Malware Domains, Prebake, Spam404, Adware Filters, Fanboy's Annoyance List, AakList (Anti-Adblock Killer), "I don't care about cookies"... I can tell you my pages are super clean, for an enjoyable and safer browsing experience. So far, I encounter very few problems on websites with Adblock Plus. When a page won't work properly if blocking ads, I simply take my business elsewhere...

Keep Firefox add-ons automatically updated. It avoids many problems.

Edited by Phantom010, 14 February 2016 - 04:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users