Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

firewall advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:26 AM

good morning to all,

i am not quite sure if i have to enable firewall on my thomson gt 585 modem /router  or just to have only the windows xp firewall

i have been told that windows xp firewall is just a toy and i have to install a much better one

is that true ?

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 05:37 AM

The XP firewall monitors incoming but not outgoing traffic....that is the main complaint against its firewall.

Definitely enable the router's firewall, change the router's default password to one you choose and disable remote control.

Some links to further advice and assistance:

How to secure your home wireless network router.

How to Login to the Thomson TG585v7

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

hi to all,

dear buddy215 i really thank you very much for your reply

certainly yes, i will follow your links but please let me ask one more thing

why i still need the windows xp firewall the same time my thomson modem / router have a firewall as well

many thanks in advance

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

It's a bit more insurance...shouldn't affect the computer by having both active.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

good morning dear buddy215 and i thank you for your reply

fully understood 

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users