Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hyper-V residual files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gm1138

gm1138

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

Long ago I installed software that enabled Hyper-V. Later, I uninstalled it and disabled Hyper-V.

I discovered an ISO file called vmguest.iso in C:\Windows\System32, and an internet search seems to indicate it is related to Hyper-V. The files in the image mostly relate to Hyper-V and Windows Server 2003. Can this file be safely deleted?

Thanks for any advice!

GM

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 01:08 PM.
Moved from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 08:11 AM

"vmguest.iso" is the installation media for "Hyper-V integration components". Installing the Hyper-V integration components into guest virtual machines hosted in Hyper-V installs drivers that optimise the VMs interaction with the host.

The iso file would only be used when you select the install integration components" option in virtual machine connection for a VM. It is then mounted as a DVD drive within the virtual machine and a normal software installtion of the components run from the dvd. After that, the dvd image can be dismounted ad is not needed again for that VM.

So in terms of functionality, if you are not running Hyper-V, you would have no use for that file.

Whether or not manually removing the file would interfere with future maintenance of Windows I can't say.

x64

#3 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

I had assumed it was put there either by the software I installed or by Hyper-V when it was turned on, and that it simply wasn't deleted when both were uninstalled. I believe it's only 25-30 MB so I'll just leave it alone.

Thanks again!

GM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users