Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows updates stuck at 0% complete

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ihadnohorse

ihadnohorse

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

machine is sony all-in-one desktop 64 version
Today first time I received a pop-up window from interactive message notification telling me that vcagent.exe (vaio care) is trying to send a message and that it's not compatible with windows. After doing a search online, I found posts about windows updates not downloading. I checked my windows updates and found 68 important updates available. I checked the installed updates and no updates have been installed since August of 2015. I get a 0% complete whether I try to install 1 or 68. my notification for win updates is "check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"
Based on other posts online I have tried stopping and starting win updates from cmd.exe and deleting the files in c/windows/softwaredistribution/download. None of that worked.

Now I just tried the vaio care update and after hanging at "installing..." for awhile, it failed to install.

Edited by ihadnohorse, 12 February 2016 - 05:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

It sounds like you may have some corrupt system files.  Start an administrative command prompt and issue this command:

sfc /scannow.  Note that it can run for a while - 10 to 30 min. in most cases.  If that doesn't fix it, download MalwareBytes from here, get it up to date, and run it.  If you're still having problems, you may want to post in the Am I Infected forum.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 ihadnohorse

ihadnohorse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

I fixed it and don't really know which of these did the trick:
1) downloaded the system update rediness tool which got stuck running 2) changed the win update setting to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them" 3) ran sfc/scannow which found some corrupt files it couldn't fix, but the folder CBS log denied entry 4) rebooted
All 68 updates are now downloaded & installed.

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:17 PM

Good to hear.  Thanks for the feedback.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:34 PM

I fixed it and don't really know which of these did the trick:
1) downloaded the system update rediness tool which got stuck running 2) changed the win update setting to "download updates but let me choose whether to install them" 3) ran sfc/scannow which found some corrupt files it couldn't fix, but the folder CBS log denied entry 4) rebooted
All 68 updates are now downloaded & installed.

Did the system readiness tool completely freeze and crashed? OR you forcefully exited it by ending a task or shutdown?

The SFC scan most probably did the trick.

Ol' sfc.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users