Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just found about Enigma lawsuit - donated $10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dsteinschneider

dsteinschneider

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 03:43 PM

I always use Bleeping Computer as a trusted source for malware removal information. I haven't needed a forum participant to help, I've been able to find the malware removal advice just from reading the threads.

Those effing Spyware Hunter guys...really???....you can read about what bullbleep they are on a hundred sites. Shows how truly great a website bleepingcomputer.com is in that Enigma Software's "blood sucking lawyers" chose it. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

Thank you for your support of BleepingComputer and donation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 malper1942

malper1942

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 13 February 2016 - 10:25 AM

This type of lawsuit is crap.  Happy to donate today

#4 helping hands

helping hands

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 10:48 AM

I just saw the pop-up this morning, signing in.....

I'm very aware of "frivolous lawsuits" and the costs that can be racked up, however I have to say something

about what is being proposed here.

It makes, little to no sense, for Bleeping Computer (BC) to put up a fight over something like this and wasting

the funds there, when it would be far easier and better to create a new entity (BCII) , sell and absorb the "content" of BC to BCII, and

then make the new site, under BCII and tell Enigma to have a nice day.....

Not that I don't, or we shouldn't donate, but let's not just starting throwing good money after bad....

I would have thought that the operators of BC would have planned for such events, and carried necessary insurance(s) to protect

against such actions.

Did an owner/operator/officer/authorized representative, directly make any comments about Enigma?

This is a "forum" correct? Allows for Discussion and Opinions, right?

Did BC make an concerted effort and/or campaign, against Engima and make unfounded statements, slander, etc..etc..?

I am certain that there are more than likely, more people here, with access to legal resources, who'd be willing to help BC and/or BCII

overcome this for so many reasons, regardless of whether or not they've been "helped by BC".

Of course, from my perspective, I have no idea of the business model/operations of BC, and I could be entirely wrong about this

approach, but it just makes no sense to make a battle over this, and waste those funds when they could be put to better use.

I'm happy to donate to BC, and I have had referrals make donations over the years as well, but I can't really say I'd like to see

my money go into a battle chest for these purposes, i'd rather see what I could do to help get through it or make a better plan.

Let me know if I am completely off base or get me some more information please.

Thank  you BC!

(i've since read through (quickly) the lawsuit summary) (editing @ 8:04AM Pacific)

I'm not an attorney, although I've been accused of it many times, and it just seems to me there are some relatively straight

forward conditions here that shouldn't allow this to be a steam roller case for BC.

Again i'm assuming that BC has structured the operations and positions of anyone "representing" BC in such a way which

largely shields BC from liability.

If it hasn't, then in my proposal of BCII, that needs to be addressed.

Newspapers and magazines and I don't know how many other 'editorial outlets' must go through this all the time, and must

have a typical defense, and pre-existing case law, that largely defends against these kinds of actions.

ESG is trying to say that Quietman7 (Q7) is an authorized representative of BC, and that Q7 made those remarks, against

ESG, causing damages, based on mis-information (whether or not that is true is really irrelevant) and is holding BC liable

due to BCs business model/practice of affiliate links, and gaining commissions from the products that BC does "promote".

Again, I have to believe that BC has setup the SITE, with all the necessary statements & waivers where the information contained within

the site to protect BC against this type of action.

If Q7 made statements, beyond his qualifications and/or authority, then there might be some actions to be take against Q7 internally to

BC but not from ESG.

This largely depends on what BC's existence is legally classified as, and to that I can't speak at all.

As I was saying earlier, contributing to a legal battle chest, doesn't seem like the best use of funds.

We should be able to get more legal help, possibly have some well known talent, consider pro bono work, (or at least reduced costs)
and I am sure there are many qualified attorneys and/or firms, which would like to get behind something like this.

I don't know how much of this is "freedom of speech", but there are other angles at play here.

I for now, must get back to work!

Edited by helping hands, 16 February 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

@ helping hands

Your comments would be better served in the primary pinned announcement topic started by Grinler, the site owner of BleepingComputer.

We Need Your Help! BleepingComputer is being Sued by the creators of SpyHunter

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 02:24 PM

helping hands started a new topic stating the same things as his/her post above.

The topic is here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/605606/about-the-engima-lawsuit-my-just-my-02-and-alternative-thinking-to-donating/

Any replies to the post should be made in the linked to topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users