Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Folder Gone Again

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnsig

johnsig

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

Windows 10 home network. I can see the network folders for the two laptops on my network but not for the desktop that is hosting the network. This missing folder is of course where all the shared network files reside.

This seems to happen occasionally, but it normally reappears pretty quickly.  This time it doesn't seem to be coming back.

I've had nothing but network problems with windows 10. I'm ready to start walking a jump drive around the house as my network.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnsig

johnsig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:15 AM

Well, this worked, but I have no idea why.  I wasn't dealing with an external drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go to Start, then Command Prompt (admin)
at the command prompt enter the following commands. Its easiest to copy and paste from below, and press enter after each paste:

sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi

sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

Then reboot your Windows 10 machine; with a bit of luck you will now see your external drive on the 'network' list.

#3 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

Shutting SMB off is possibly a trial type of workaround, but should actually not ne used as a permanent solution due to a lot of other drawbacks ... I would undo that again!

On my 2 Win10 systems (home & pro) I found out, that the "other" computer as well as the Router- NAS was not SHOWN under the WIN Explorer, but they were there.

So I created shortcuts (links) to the respective "not shown" PCs/drives using the proper network address like \\Computername\Drivename as given to the drive under permissions (check the respective drive with a rightclick to find that name out if you don't remember); sometimes (PC drives) required a " before and after, NAS doesn't. When you create the link (where ever, Desktop or in a folder like documents) the other PC should be on of course, and not "sleeping".

The link works at once, afterwards you usually get the respective device also listed under "network" in the Win-Explorer again - a lot of users have problems with that, I hope this bug will be resolved with one of the next updates....

I usually prefer the free Explorer++ (https://explorerplusplus.com/), which shows all the connected PCs/drives, you also can create bookmarks to your favourite locations, if it doesn't, but since Win10 the special doubleclick-button of the mouse is being blocked...

Greetings from Germany,

Curly56

#4 johnsig

johnsig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

Curly56,

Kind of you to respond. This continues to happen from time to time and is very annoying.

Is your solution to create a shortcut on my desktop to lead to the missing networked computer?  If so, don't I need to refer to an executable file in the target? I've never created a shortcut other than right clicking in windows explorer.

Do you think Explorer++ would show the missing network computers even if they don't show in windows explorer?  Maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.

#5 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:50 PM

Last question first: Explorer++ works for me most of the times; you just have to give it some time when you click on Network, even if it gives a "no reply type of message" in the top menu. Once you access that other drive, you can "bookmark" that place under the bookmark menu option, just in case for further use. You don't even have to install it, just unpack the Zipfile into a directory, and run it from there.

It is very easy to create a shortcut; beforehand you need the information of the PC you want to have access to: Name and the "permission name" of the drive/partition you want to access (of course I assume that for that drive you gave permission to the drive to be accessed, and set the further permissions as well as security options for "everyone" etc as required).

On the desktop of the PC you want to create the shortcut, just rightclick into an empty space, choose shortcut (or link?), then you will be prompted for the location. You can try "search", but most likely your target won't be shown (of course the other PC has to be on at that time and not sleeping). So type in the information you found out before like this

"\\GYPSY\Gypsy D\Download"

where GYPSY is the name of the PC to be accessed, Gypsy D the "permission name" (not the DOS path!), and \Download a folder on that drive you want to go to directly (if wanted, otherwise omit that part).

You do not need to define an *.exe, because the location is, what you are looking for, that's enough for Win.

Once the shortcut is created on your desktop, you can further enhance it with rightclick and properties to be executed as admin, change icon, shortcuts etc.

All that smear sounds like a lot of work, but I also added the prerequisites to make sure you don't run into extra problems.

Glad to give further assistance, and luck with that workaround.

Greetings, Curly

#6 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:34 PM

P.S.: I had severe trouble to install my network printer on the client PC, until I installed NET.35 - some "older" software requires that, and it is not activated automatically with a Win10 upgrade or fresh installation. Not a big deal to do that, just go to "all settings - system - apps & features" - then way at the bottom "programs & features" - then in the left pane "Windows features activate/deactivate" and set the mark on NET.Framework 3.5 and all other subfeatures - some of them might not be installed (you get an error message, just ignore) , but after the automatic downloading, updating and restart you should have NET.3.5 available.

I did that before I started to look into the problems with the network - most likely this here also helps along ...

#7 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

P.P.S.: If you have this "Homenetworkgroup" activated - it sucks, remove it; it causes more problems than solutions; you only have access to predefined libraries, not whole drives, unless of course you create in your f.e. documents folder a shortcut to the drive you want to access ...

These libraries are always stored on the C: Drive, but generally  you should have a different partition like D: etc where you store your personal data - a lot easier to back up your files!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users