Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue-highlighted folders &/or files can inherit next action

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:43 AM

Blue-highlighted folders &/or files can inherit next action.
Concerning deleting files accidentally, within Win 7 for sure, I've noticed right after copying or moving, the target folder's new contents, and sometimes even copied or moved folders, often are "blue-highlighted," and if I do not "remove" [click once anywhere in white space] the highlighting, the very next explorer.exe action may include those blue-highlighted aforementioned folders and/or files.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:02 AM

What you described is normal.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:52 AM

What you described is normal.

Correct!  However, I was not aware of this inheritance trait for awhile, so I lost some EXE installs, ZIPs, data files before I caught on.  I was a "noob" concerning this "sticky" -- until I realized what was happening.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 February 2016 - 11:52 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

Whenever you select an item (or items) the operating system highlights it to show that it has been selected.  If selected items weren't highlighted then you would have to remember the selected items yourself.  Therefore, the highlight is there to help you.  It follows that whenever you select an item(s) you did so with the intention of performing some action or the other on it/them, e.g. copy, move, delete, etc.  Items that are selected will also remain selected until you un-select them, e.g. by clicking on an empty space.  Since this is so, it is obviously the user's responsibility to ensure that the items which are selected are the ones he wants to perform the desired action on.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

Agouti, you're right as rain, as always, I just would rather that feature, on the target end, be one that can turned off :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users