Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive filling up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lelouch23

lelouch23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:41 AM

Hey guys, new user here.

My C drive is filling up quickly. I have 34.5Gb of stuff(36.7 size on disk) on there, but I have only 2.82 gb of free space in a 48.7Gb drive.

I ran Tree size to see where my space is being used up. Large amounts are being used up in Appdata, local.

Any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 12 February 2016 - 10:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:07 AM

Try Ccleaner   https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download.

Only use the Cleaner Tab.

Click Analyze - Wait until reaches 100%

Then Select Clean { Bottom Right }

This will remove all temps , history , etc.

Also you can run Tools Tab and Select System Restore and delete some Restore points to gain Space { You can not Delete the Last One }.

DO NOT RUN - Registry Tab Function unless you know what you are doing - I Advise Not To.

If you do not gain enough Space - id suggest a Larger Drive and Clone the Old to the Newer One.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

36 GB is awfully small for a Windows partition, 100 GB would be more like it.  One thing you could check would be System Restore.  By default it will use 10% of your partition for restore points, so you could reduce that.  However if you continue trying to run Windows in a 36 GB partition, you can expect to have to constantly be trying to manage that space.  When you can buy a 1 TB hard drive for $50, that's an easy solution to your problem.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users