Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory and CPU usage seems oddly high

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:42 AM

Hey there!

I've noticed that my CPU and Memory (Memory being much worse) are constantly too high. My memory seems to run generally at about 50-60% but when I have several Chrome tabs, it can be up to 80% despite having 10gb of DDR3 RAM (I'm sure my RAM isn't quality, but I expected to be able to have tabs without such trouble).

my CPU is generally sitting comfortably at 20-30% so that's not so bad, with service host: local system being the main culprit for both Memory and CPU.

My 50% memory usage is when my Chrome is cleared out with only 1-3 tabs and I've closed any programs that aren't being used with the exception of Skype and Battle.net.

I have disabled media player network sharing, I've confirmed that my computer recognises my RAM (it says 10gb!), and I've used programs like Spybot and AVG recently to check for viruses, everything came back negative.

My PC is a HP PAVILION P7-1549 that runs Windows 8.1. - http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03694496

Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:31 AM

- Install PcWintech's Cleanmem. It reduces memory usage every 15 minutes.

- Chrome is known to use LOTS of memory over time and has a lousy memory management.

- Run Piriform's Speccy and post a snapshot of your system (File >> Publish Snapshot) and post the weblink that pops up in your next reply.

#3 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/oRS8pVMStytNLBAIRdqCgrC

I will download and use Cleanmem, and while I know Chrome is a memory sink, it boggles my mind that with Chrome entirely shutdown (checking my task mananger and closing every instance of it), I still idle with only Skype at around 40-50%.

#4 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

Cleanmem hasn't helped my problem. 

#5 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

- Your HD (C:) is failing. SMART attributes C5 & C6 are no longer at zero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Backup all your data to e.g. a USB drive and replace the HD.

#6 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

Is it possible for me to keep my copy of windows? It is pre-installed and has a backup utility on a second drive. 

#7 xIcarusLives

xIcarusLives
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 02:56 AM

Well I have contacted HP because my warranty ends in exactly a week and they've seen that my harddrive has failed and are repairing it.

I would never have phoned them if you didn't suggest that it was failing so thank you for saving me around $600 or more.

You have no idea what a relief this is. 

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:18 AM

- I have another suggestion. Do you still have a folder called "C:\SwSetup" ? Then copy that entire folder to e.g. a USB thumbdrive. Then you have a backup of all the HP system drivers (sound, display, etc.). Just in case.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

- I have another suggestion. Do you still have a folder called "C:\SwSetup" ? Then copy that entire folder to e.g. a USB thumbdrive. Then you have a backup of all the HP system drivers (sound, display, etc.). Just in case.

HP will include the System Recovery partition which will contain these files with the new hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users